Sunday 26 February 2023

Stompin'

Despite being in recovery mode after another "gathering of the clans" boozy session in the Wetherspoons pub in Holborn (Penderel's Oak) last night, I foolishly decided to tackle the black mould under our front room bay window, and it's taking longer than I thought.

Time, methinks, for a break, a fag, and a collation of some of the "newer" music that has caught my ear of late...

First up, an object of lust here at Dolores Delargo Towers makes a very welcome return-to-form (with a fab video, to boot):

Slowing the pace a little, Dave Gahan and Martin Gore pay a fitting tribute to their friend and bandmate Andy Fletcher, who sadly died last year:

Bringing the tone back up again is an artist who is more than a little inspired by the Depeche Mode boys [and also happens to be the mastermind behind the live band that accompanies the "ABBA-tars" at ABBA:Voyage]:

Here's a quirky little number by one of the godmothers of electropop:

And now for something completely different (not quite "new", of course, judging by the masks in evidence):

Then, there's this complete and utter work of genius from the sadly under-appreciated Waldeck:

And, finally - the big number. I love this!

As ever, let me know your thoughts...

10 comments:

  1. Ooh, I like all of these! I'm just listening to Alison Goldfrapp & Claptone again because I'm not sure if I like it better than Jake's and/or Depeche Mode's efforts?

    What a fab selection, Jon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Mr DeVice! A sudden flurry of decent music early on in the year, for a change. Jx

      Delete
  2. Of course I immediately played the Depeche Mode first!! Of course I like it!! Nice. Thank you. I will listen to the rest later.
    Meanwhile, what are you using for the black mould? I have some to get rid of. I usually go for the white vinegar method, but I think I'm going to have to use something more industrial in some places. Am also thinking of investing in a dehumidifier.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to your verdict on the rest of the selection, Ms Scarlet...

      As for black mould, I usually use Cillit Bang Black Mould spray, but as we have guests staying soon and the smell of bleach is a bit overpowering, I just used Wilko anti-bac wipes. That's fine for removing the mould but not the stains from where it's affected the wallpaper. After the guests go I may give it all a good spray and open all the windows. Jx

      PS We have two (non-electric) dehumidifiers in that room. Not sure what good they do where the mould is concerned, but they do fill up with water fairly quickly, so obviously they do trap condensation that otherwise would be on the walls.

      Delete
  3. The Jake Shears reminds me of something - though I think it's supposed to? Damn it, it's on the tip of my mind.
    I will like the James Righton after 5 listens - a grower.
    My favourite is probably the Stomping' one! The man sitting by the bass is frozen!!
    Like the Quando Quando - nice video.
    Adam Lambert - Nice update! Video seems to be a very modern take on that old Robert Palmer classic? Finally the backing band get to be individuals.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jake's song sounds a bit like one of Kylie Minogue's crossed with a smidge of George Michael, but in much of the Scissor Sisters' back-catalogue there were always snippets that reminded me of something else.
      Yes, Adam's "nod" to Addicted To Love was very evident until the end bit when everyone went crazy... Jx

      Delete
  4. P.S I have the non electric dehumidifiers - but again - I think I need something stronger!! I have that HG mould stuff to try - but I'm concerned that I'll be overwhelmed by fumes. I will use it, I will wear an old Covid mask when I do.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All mould remover products are based on chlorine bleach, so that's why I need to wait until I can open all the windows before I spray - because it stinks. Jx

      Delete
  5. Love the Jake Shears and I am sure it will grow on one,
    I liked the Ingmar Bergman sorry Depeche Mode - very retro
    not to sure of the James Righton (odd looking chap) it reminded me of something but I am not sure what
    good to hear from Goldfrapp again. Love it, love it
    Hot Club of Jupiter = Fab-U-lous and I think that's an old Northern line carrage I remember those.
    Wow for Quando Quando fantastic video but I think they could have tried a bit harder to make it more Italian
    Fab video to close with, Meatloaf meets Ru Paul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terrific review - at least most of them were a "Hit" not a "Miss" [thank you, David Jacobs]! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]