Sunday 16 April 2023

It is nothing to do with the wine

And so, on the last day of freedom before the work week begins again, we continue the slog to get the garden in some sort of order.

My back is aching already from yesterday after washing pots, window boxes and planters [and there's still dozens yet to do]. and taking every leaf off the poor old Cordyline that had its crown killed by frost [in readiness to decapitate it, seal the wound and hope for new growth], and those off the ferns, and re-potting a few plants that were groaning out of their pots, and sweeping up the detritus of dead snails and muck, and severing sycamore seedlings [which are everywhere!], and, and, and...

A gardener's job is never ending.

Time for some appropriate "Sunday Music", methinks.

Sharing the day (as she does) with Dame Joan Bakewell (who is 90!), Charlie Chaplin, Peter Ustinov, Spike Milligan, Henry Mancini, Gerry Rafferty, Ellen Barkin, Bobby Vinton, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark, Guy Burgess, Kingsley Amis, Vince Hill, Robert Stigwood, John Harvey-Jones, Claire Foy and - erm - "Little" Jimmy Osmond (who's 60), it would have been our late, great Patron Saint Dusty Springfield's birthday today!

And here she is, with my most favourite song of hers:

Dusty Springfield OBE (born Mary Isobel Catherine Bernadette O'Brien, 16th April 1939 – 2nd March 1999)

13 comments:

  1. My day should have been like your day yesterday. Friday after work I went to one of our garden centers and bought a slew of new annuals to replace ones that didn't make it but mostly just to fill in holes left over from years ago. But with some down showers and thunderstorms.. the day turned into a huge full breakfast and several naps. But my in the morning, does it ever smell wonderful with that lilac whiffing in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was fortunate indeed to have a nice (relatively) warm day to devote to the garden. I'm so knackered today, though, that I'm just pottering around rather than pushing myself too hard 😎 Jx

      Delete
  2. Tending to our terrace is a much smaller job than that. I used to love having big gardens but oh the work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our garden is tiny! (It's only 12 feet by 30 feet, plus the side passage.) The labour is because it's all in pots, and overhung by sycamore trees that shed leaves and keys everywhere... Jx

      Delete
  3. Seconding MWM. I loved my garden but man, I do NOT miss the labor. I cannot wait to see your Infomaniac Garden pix! (eeeeee that blue rose!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosa Veilchenblau is carving itself quite the niche in " the top field" (as Madam Arcati would have it - I call it the cat toilet). There should be hundreds of blooms this year! Jx

      Delete
  4. Rosa Veilchenblau should be a diva's name. Operatic probably.

    We were so lucky to have Dusty Springfield

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rosa Veilchenblau and Cat Toilet, drag queens. Very different styles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't give potential Drag Race contestants any more ideas. Jx

      Delete
  6. No, I know exactly what these ladies look and what they're about, I can totally visualise them

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gone but never forgotten, her music will live forever.
    RIP Dusty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll certainly never forget her... However, she had been all but forgotten both sides of the Atlantic until Pet Shop Boys revived her career in the 1980s. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]