Tuesday 25 April 2023

Wild about Harry

They're dropping like flies at the moment...

Paul O'Grady, Murray Melvin, Dame Mary Quant, Barry Humphries, Len Goodman...

...and now that hunky young Calypso maestro (whose debut album was the first to sell millions across the globe), actor and showman extraordinaire, pioneer of the Civil Rights movement, and legend in his own lifetime, Mr Harry Belafonte has departed for his Island in the Sun for the final time, aged 98.

Facts:

  • He was mentored by Paul Robeson, and was a friend and confidante (and financial supporter) of Martin Luther King.
  • Appearing on Petula Clark's US television show, their arms touched in a loving way, which caused uproar from one of the show's bigoted sponsors - but "Our Pet" stood her ground, the show went out uncut, and Harry's career was given a massive boost.
  • He launched the careers Stateside of Miriam Makeeba, Nana Mouskouri and even Bob Dylan (who was Harry's harmonica player).
  • It was he who set the ball rolling for an American answer to Bob Geldof and Midge Ure's "Band Aid", gathering a wealth of talent on board for the fundraising single We Are the World in 1985.

RIP, Harry Belafonte (born Harold George Bellanfanti Jr, 1st March 1927 – 25th April 2023)

14 comments:

  1. Oh, I adored him. My parents were always playing his records when I was a kid, and I have a couple of albums on my iPhone. And, I have had a major crush on him all my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was not just a huge talent, but a sexy man, to boot! What a combination. Jx

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. He was a magnificent singer, indeed. Jx

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. He was, indeed, Ms Scarlet! There's no-one out there who comes even close to his singing ability as far as I am aware, which is sad. Singers of his calibre and finesse are a lost cause in this whiny, rappy, wibbly, mumbling, autotuned current generation, methinks. Jx

      Delete
  4. He sure was handsome wasn't he?!?! I knew who he was, and recall a few things of his work, but I'm sad to admit I was mostly ignorant of knowledge of a lot his work. I think I knew his music more so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was his music for which he was most famous - and yes, he was a very handsome man when he was young! Jx

      Delete
  5. a generous man who lived a good and generous life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh , yeah. he could sing, too! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh1ow6zKapQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful. He had a unique tone to his voice. Jx

      Delete
  7. Lovely voice lovely man.
    Another sad loss.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]