Saturday 27 May 2023

Shivers and butterflies (padam)

I have spent another mammoth session in the sunshine in extensive gardens here at Dolores Delargo Towers today, potting-on a whole load of plants that were practically crawling out of the pots I'd moved them to less than a month ago. This is definitely the season of growth [now that we at last appear to be having some decent weather, after a dreadful Spring] - we were only away a few days, and several plants are almost double the size they were the week before; our "Gertrude Jekyll" rose is bending under the weight of its huge display of blooms, and the Hesperis matronalis, Campanula glomerata and Scilla peruviana [as featured yesterday] are flowering fit to burst!

Tulips and daffs have been cleared (and "heeled-in" in another pot) to make way for some of the older, woodier fuchsias that needed a refresh - especially as I purchased new cuttings of those varieties at Easter which will take their place as specimen plants this summer. The first of the houseplants (the giant Taro) has come outdoors for the summer, and the rest will follow tomorrow or Monday. My back is aching already!

Time, methinks for another selection of "newer" choons that have caught my ear of late...

Opening the proceedings, a singer who I have a suspicion might be "a gayer" (not sure what makes me think that!)...

How about abother brilliant Bill McClintock mash-up to follow? Oh, go on then: [June 2023 update: Gone. Already!]

How to follow that? With a very refreshing and joyful "Northern Soul" cover of a beloved 80s classic, of course!

Speaking of "old classics", Blur is back - with a bit of an earworm:

Dame Sophie of the Ellis-Bextors' new one is just dreamy...

Not usually "my cup of tea" - and she certainly gives me the impression of being a spoilt bitch - this surprising collaboration between Miss Ora and Mr Cook (aka Fatboy Slim) is actually very catchy indeed:

Among my fave recent discoveries was this little oddity...

However, nothing beats this, the new barn-storming release [already the best-selling single in the UK as we speak; and a new entry in the "official" chart, which also counts streaming and YouTube "hits" for some obscure and illogical reason] by Our Princess Kylie [who is 55 tomorrow - gulp]!!!

As ever, dear reader, let me know your thoughts...


FOOTNOTE:

I did some research, and apparently the phrase "Padam, Padam" stems from a French acronym Pas Avant D'être Amoureux, which means someone who won't shag on the first date! It translates literally as "not before being in love".

It has more recently been used as a lyrical metaphor for the sound of a heartbeat, which is evidently the way Kylie's using it...

11 comments:

  1. Oh, I like Blur's new one! I will come back and listen to the rest later. Though I know I already like Kylie, Sophie, and Rita's offerings!
    Yes, everything has doubled in size in Devon - including the population due to the holiday makers!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I have fond memories of things doubling in size in Devon... Jx

      Delete
  2. I love the growing time of year. Ours started months ago, but we've got continued excitement on the terrace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be very different in Andalusia, with not much of a winter to speak of! Every time we're there in February, everything's in bloom. Jx

      Delete
  3. I love that mashup; the the more incongruous the better. And, as always, Kylie can certainly sell a song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Mr McClintock's warped mind - and that Kylie song is utter genius! Jx

      Delete
  4. You certainly did save the best until last - and thanks for doing the research into what "padam" means (I wondered, but couldn't be bothered to research it myself).
    Dame Sophie's is exquisite as (almost) always, and I really like "We Still Believe" by The Blessed Madonna. I was never really a fan of Blur, but their offering is okay, as is Betty Black's and Fatboy Slim's & that Ora creature's (I really don't like her).
    I'm afraid "Fucquila" didn't grab me (not like "Electric Sex Machine" did - genius!), and I said No! to Rhian before a minute went by.

    Just going to listen to Kylie again on my way out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless Rhian for trying. He thinks he's Todrick Hall, but in the end he's a bit of a Poundland version. I like the song, though. Glad there's another fan of the Blessed Madonna number; she's full of surprises, that one! Jx

      Delete
  5. Love Kylie but when I saw the title I was expecting this -

    Padam, padam, padam
    Il arrive en courant derrière moi
    Padam, padam, padam
    Il me fait le coup du souviens-toi
    Padam, padam, padam
    C'est un air qui me montre du doigt
    Et je traîne après moi comme une drôle d'erreur
    Cet air qui sait tout par cœur

    Padam, padam, padam He comes running behind me Padam, padam, padam He does the trick to me remember Padam, padam, padam It's a tune that points at me And I drag after me like a funny girl error This tune that knows everything by heart

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not a Kylie devotee, but the title took me back to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kya3c4WJZAk the great Piaf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As many a commenter has observed - it's probably for the best that this isn't an attempt by Kylie to do a Piaf cover 😀. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]