Monday 29 May 2023

You've got me on the go!


In our minds, we're still in Sitges.

The weather's cooled down a little here today, and we've "broken the back" of the urgent jobs in the extensive gardens here at Dolores Delargo Towers, so there's less of a flurry of activity - a chance to have a bit of a breather before the madness of the "real world" begins again tomorrow...

We missed another milestone birthday last week - the 80th of the lovely Leslie Uggams!

A pioneer in the light entertainment world, she faced down the segregationist bigots to land a regular role in 1950s America's most wholesome mainstream variety show Sing Along with Mitch, and in the 60s she even went on to host her own series (the first black entertainer to do so after Nat King Cole). She received an Emmy nomination for her role as "Kizzy" in Roots, and became a regular guest in a number of popular shows such as The Love Boat, Muppet Show and Magnum, P.I. - and more recently made a big-screen return as "Blind Al" in the Deadpool films!

On this Tacky Music Bank Holiday Monday, lets track back and celebrate the lady's song-and-dance heyday, shall we?

Many happy returns, Leslie Marian Uggams (born 25th May 1943)!

13 comments:

  1. I loved her when I was growing up. She was a regular on “Sing Along with Mitch” in the early '60s. And then in the ´80s we saw her in the “Anything Goes” revival that opened in New Haven, Connecticut. So good. Do you suppose Mistress Maddie would send you a couple of houseboys to help with the garden work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All his houseboys are good for is lolling around naked, admiring themselves. OK, OK - I'll ask him to send us a few! 😁😁 Jx

      Delete
    2. Ha! Mid-sentence, I was thinking, “And your point is?”

      Delete
  2. I wonder what Miss Uggams would have thought if someone told her back then that she'd be sharing a room with half an adult Ryan Reynolds, and half a child-size portion?

    P.S. There's a lot of thrashing about going on in that second gif - are you and The Madam waiting to applaud when Jaws puts a stop to it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say no to sharing a room with a portion of Ryan Reynolds...

      Jx

      PS We were too distracted trying to keep those hats on our heads in the wind than look out for a Great White!

      Delete
  3. Bloody hell! I'm too sheltered here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um,... as I'm about Ms Uggams' age, maybe I'd struggle to keep the pace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should audition for a part in the next Deadpool film. If it's good enough for Miss Uggams... Jx

      Delete
  5. I remember Ms Uggams in Roots, but didn't realise she had a fab voice!
    It's now Tuesday - I hope the return to work isn't too painful!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A woman of many talents! Jx

      PS I'm groaning as we speak...

      Delete
  6. I must have seen her on the Muppet show but don't remember it.
    She is fab.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]