Thursday 8 June 2023

Stick your avocados and Bulgar wheat where the sun doesn’t shine

There's a lot of concern over processed food nowadays but you grew up eating Angel Delight and you’re fine. So far. Here are some other old favourites to worry about:

Crispy Pancakes
A pancake full of minced beef or cheese and ham, covered in breadcrumbs and frozen? What lunatic invented this? It didn’t matter back in the 80s, as they were delicious, convenient and no one gave a shit that they were chock full of chemical colourings and stabilisers. They’d have told you to stick your avocados and Bulgar wheat where the sun doesn’t shine.

Pop-Tarts
A Pop-Tart has been through so many processes that it probably shouldn’t be legally classified as food anymore, and they contain an absolute fuck-load of sugar, corn syrup, palm oil and other worrying substances. However, the part of your brain that will forever remain an 80s kid still cannot resist that sweet, moreish smell wafting out of the toaster.

Angel Delight
What even is this? Add milk to coloured powder and it creates a claggy, oddly textured dessert in seconds. Every single flavour tasted vile, and yet that didn’t stop it being viewed as a sophisticated pudding that the whole family welcomed to the tea table with the same appreciation people today reserve for matcha and pomegranate panna cotta.

Billy Bear ham
Pork is pretty natural, right? Well, yes, but not after it has been mechanically reclaimed, mixed with pea protein, ascorbic acid and diphosphates – whatever they are – and reconstituted to look like a bear. A mental idea, when you think about it, but you were the envy of the playground when you had it in your sandwiches at school.

Turkey Twizzlers
Everyone loved a Turkey Twizzler, brimming with saturated fat, salt and sugar, and covered in a chemically enhanced coating. Then Jamie Oliver turned up and ruined them for everyone, ushering in the age of actually thinking about what we put in our bodies. Healthy perhaps, but after a childhood spent mainlining e-numbers, it feels a bit dull.

The Daily Mash

Of course.

Being a child of the '70s, I could cheerfully add to this list Bird's Luxury Trifle, Goblin Tinned Hamburgers, Vesta packet meals like Paella and Chow Mein, Birds Eye Arctic Roll, Yeoman powdered mash, Quosh, and so much, much more...

9 comments:

  1. I ate out of the freezer in the seventies too - I loved those chicken pancake things! They did cheese ones as well. My mum was a good cook - but I rebelled against her offerings, hence I was brought up on freezer food. I think you can get away with a lot when you're young!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - those Findus things!
      Sx

      Delete
    2. We were also brought up on tinned, packet and frozen foods - it was all about "convenience" in those days, especially since both mother and father were working. I still hanker for a Vesta "meal" even today 😁. Jx

      Delete
  2. The only thing I ever heard of were Pop Tarts. I had once... once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every country had its own variations on "convenience foods", I'm sure.

      Pop Tarts were actually relatively late to the game over here, by which time I was no longer a child. I don't believe I've ever had one in my life! Jx

      Delete
  3. I used to enjoy a Findus crispy pancake, but Angel Delight was my downfall. We even made it into a kind of foamy, plasticky ice-cream by freezing it. Mmmmmm... I could just do with one now as it's so hot outside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angel Delight was an odd enough product in itself without freezing the stuff. I used to love the chocolate and butterscotch flavours, but the "fruit-flavoured" ones (strawberry, banana) were synthetic to the ultimate degree. It was a similar situation with Nesquik powdered milkshakes...

      My favourite childhood "powdered-dessert-concoction" was Green's Carmelle Pudding. A sort-of crème caramel, but sloppier. Adored it! Jx

      Delete
  4. My mother cooked so these were rare in our house. I do remember them though Vesta was an exotic and sophisticated luxury to me as a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my experience, the culinary tastes of an entire working-class generation changed when Vesta meals arrived. They may have tasted nothing like the original cuisine, but at least they let people know that such exotic dishes as paella, beef risotto or Chow Mein existed... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]