Thursday 22 June 2023

True colours - and lots of 'em!

“Somebody did complain to me and tell me that my clothes were so loud they couldn’t hear me sing.”

“The women back in the 80s had beautiful cheekbones, thick eyebrows, big smiles – you know, everything I didn’t. I was upset that I didn’t look like them, but I find people that have a fat face like me figure how to work with it. You can do a lot with a plain, blank face.”

“On my darkest days, I wear my brightest colours.”

“You know, I do speak the Queen’s English. It’s just the wrong Queens, that’s all. It’s over the 59th Street Bridge. It’s not over the Atlantic Ocean”.

You know you're getting old when...

...you discover that the adorable Miss Cyndi Lauper is seventy years old today! Gulp.

An oft-overlooked talent, she's not just the multi-million-selling post-punk-popstrel we know and love, but also the Tony-award-winning genius behind the global phenomenon that is Kinky Boots: the musical, and a staunch gay rights advocate and campaigner to boot.

Here's just a mere soupçon of the the lady's brilliance:

Facts about Cyndi:

  • She was born Cynthia Ann Stephanie Lauper in Queens, New York, of German, Swiss and Sicilian-American descent.
  • Miss Lauper worked in a thrift store to earn extra money until her first solo album She’s So Unusual was released in 1983, when she was 30.
  • In 1977 she damaged her vocal chords and was told by doctors that she would never sing again, and underwent intense vocal coaching to restore her voice.
  • Unexpectedly in 2010 she had a change of musical direction, releasing Memphis Blues - which became the most successful blues album of the year in the USA, remaining at #1 on the Billboard Blues Albums chart for 13 consecutive weeks.

Many happy returns, Cyndi Lauper (born 22nd June 1953)

10 comments:

  1. I have adored her since Day 1. From Ozone Park, Queens, NY of all places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Means nowt to me, sweetie. I do like her quote about the place, however. Jx

      Delete
  2. One of the true stars and performers who kept her roots and didn't let Fame go to her head. I adore Cyndi Lauper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does give me the impression of being very "grounded". Love that in a performer. Jx

      Delete
  3. 1984, in the City of London, I was walking past scaffolding and a gang of builders when one of them yelled at me: Oi, Cyndi!! It made my day! She was my hero!
    70, though! May she go on and on!!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  4. GET OUT! How is she 70? I am going to be as fab as she at that age. Lady still has it going on. Fave song? Same Old F'ing Story! Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know that track...

      Miss Lauper is every bit as faboo at 70 as she was at 30 when she started! Jx

      Delete
  5. Mademoiselle Lauper est fantastique, 'down to earth' comme disent les americains, une ame douce. *d'Anjou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very "down to earth", and that's why we love her. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]