Saturday 3 June 2023

Make your own kind of music

The hallowed halls of Fabulon just welcomed another remarkable arrival - with the sad news of the death of Miss Cynthia Weil. Who? I hear you ask...

Well, with her husband Barry Mann [they were married from 1961 to her death], they rivalled their compatriots in the Brill Building Bacharach & David, Goffin & King and Lieber & Stoller with a massive and enduring stream of musical compositions, many of which became standards.

Such as these...

...and they even wrote a "gay anthem"!

Wow.

RIP, Cynthia Weil (18th October 1940 – 1st June 2023)

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Amazing - especially considering the fact that she was hardly a household name. Jx

      Delete
  2. Very interesting hairdo, it looks like it has been cut with a knife and fork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she may have borrowed Christine McVie's wig. Jx

      Delete
  3. I said to myself (very rudely) her hair's better than mine. And then I read on. To my shame, I did not know she was the brilliance behind these hits.
    Vale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The greatest songwriter you never heard of... Jx

      Delete
  4. Wow, I didn't know she was behind these hits either - and they are some of my favs.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly great songs. Such a talent! Jx

      Delete
  5. Oui, Mademoiselle Weil et son mari Barry Mann, cree une partie de la musique de nos vies au fil des decennies. Maintenant en bonne compaigne avec Cass Elliot, Edyie Gorme et Bobby Hatfield. * d'Anjou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fabulon's very own Brill Building! Jx

      Delete
  6. Gosh what a talent and I never knew.
    Some great songs there and so varied.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not just these, but their career went on and on They wrote songs well into the 80s and 90s, including Lionel Ritchie's Running with the Night and two hits for Linda Ronstadt - Don't Know Much with Aaron Neville , and Somewhere Out There with James Ingram. Needless to say, I didn't want to post any of those in my blog. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]