Wednesday 21 June 2023

Cos here I go again

It's Midsummer's Day/the Summer Solstice today and inevitably - although it's nowhere near as good weather at the moment - whenever summer is mentioned in this country the collective thoughts of an entire generation turn back to this week forty-seven years ago (gulp!), when the fabled "Heatwave of 1976" began. The hottest summer for more than 350 years, coinciding nicely with the school holidays, the UK experienced fifteen consecutive days over 32C (89.6F) and nary a cloud, let alone any rain, for more than three months! Bliss.

I have of course blogged about it many times before and, in the interests of recycling (again), here's one I made earlier:

Here are some facts about the Summer of '76:

  • Many householders in Wales and the west of England were left without tap water for much of the day when temperatures were frequently over 80F; stand-pipes were installed in the streets as the pavements cracked or melted around them.
  • The National Water Council made repeat appeals to people to save and recycle water, with one advert explaining jobs are more important than flower beds; and hosepipe use was banned.
  • People across the country were told to put bricks or plastic bags full of water in their toilet cisterns and to use washing-up water to pour down the toilet instead of flushing.


  • The rivers Don, Sheaf, Shire Brook and Meers Brook in Sheffield all ran completely dry, as did the reservoirs in Wales.
  • In addition to appointing a Minister for Drought, James Callaghan’s Labour government actually drafted emergency plans to bring water by tanker from Norway.
  • Nationally £500 million of crops were destroyed and food prices soared by 12%.
  • Brewery Shepherd Neame, however, reported beer sales up by 8% on the previous year and at their highest since the war - the company had not been troubled by the weather as it had its own well, which was still plentiful.
It was indeed a long, long summer, with a lot of happy memories - and lots of memorable choons to accompany them...

...not least the Top Ten of this very week in 1976, which included The Boys Are Back In Town by Thin Lizzy, Jolene by Dolly Parton, Heart On My Sleeve by Gallagher And Lyle, Let's Stick Together by Bryan Ferry, Young Hearts Run Free by Candi Staton, Tonight's The Night by Rod Stewart and You Just Might See Me Cry by Our Kid. You To Me Are Everything by the Real Thing was at Number 1, and at Number 2 the (very silly) Combine Harvester by The Wurzels.

Which just leaves one song. Now, I am no Paul McCartney fan by any stretch of the imagination - but, whenever I hear Silly Love Songs by Wings, I am instantaneously transported back to those heady, hot days...


"What's wrong with that?
I'd like to know."

8 comments:

  1. Funny, I never liked that McCartney tune - not even when I was 11!! I liked Leader of the Pack by the Shangri-las.
    I am just looking at the charts for Summer 1976, and I notice that the tunes hung around at the top for a lot longer than they do now. I think I was still besotted by The Bay City Rollers, and was still playing their albums over and over.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never particularly liked Wings either - it's just that {{flash!}}, back to the summer of '76 moment I get whenever I hear this song. Or Demis Roussos. Or Tina Charles. Or (of course) Elton John and Kiki Dee. Jx

      Delete
  2. I remember the heatwave being reported on the nightly news and being mindblown by it. We had ours in 1973 - it was regional and didn't last nearly as long, but people and animals died, along with lawns, gardens, crops...climate change is no joke. (Our liquor and beer sales went through the roof too, natch.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't have climate in the 1970s. We had weather. Jx

      Delete
  3. I think it's just charitable to ignore music from that time. I'm sure it was none of those people's fault, they were just stupid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Macca always had such nice things to say about you... Jx

      Delete
  4. I’ve never been a fan of McCartney either. Odd I have no memory of that heatwave. I was in NYC that July and the Italian Riviera the rest of the summer. Jeez. What a life that was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was a phenomenon confined mainly to the UK. I certainly don't remember anyone mentioning it affected Europe in the same way. Not that I would have cared much - I only turned thirteen that year, and I thought all my wishes had come true with all those endless hot days out playing and riding bikes around the estate! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]