Saturday 24 June 2023

Swiftly flow the days

Sad news again.

Sheldon Harnick, Tony- and Pulitzer-winning lyricist of Fiddler on the Roof, Fiorello! and She Loves Me among many other musicals, has ascended that staircase "leading nowhere, just for show" for the very last time at the ripe old age of 99.

Here are just a few of his standards, by way of a tribute...

[from Barbara Cook: Mostly Sondheim, a one-woman revue we went to see in the West End in 2003]

Sublime.

RIP, Sheldon Mayer Harnick (30th April 1924 – 23rd June 2023)

6 comments:

  1. I was filling something out and decided to look up the definition of "elderly." Turns out I crossed that threshold 5 years ago. I should have had a party. So it's comforting to hear there were still some dinosaurs older than me, even if this means there's one less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A toast to that invincible bunch
      The dinosaurs surviving the crunch
      Let's hear it for the ladies who lunch
      Everybody rise!
      Rise!
      Rise!
      Rise!

      Shame we missed your "Geriatric Bar Mitvah". Jx

      Delete
  2. Fiddler on the Roof was one of the first musicals I ever saw at the theatre.
    RIP.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've never seen a stage production, just the film (which is great). Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]