Saturday 4 November 2023

Come on babe, why don't we paint the town?

Gosh. The effervescent child prodigy, Opportunity Knocks-winner and teen sensation of British telly in the 1970s and 80s - whose life was tragically cut short, like Karen Carpenter's, by anorexia - Miss Lena Zavaroni would have been 60 years old today!

Here she is, being somewhat upstaged by our Patron Saint of Vodka Stingers, Miss Elaine Stritch - and that pocket-sized gayer and star ballerina Wayne Sleep. What a combo!

How camp was that?!

Lena Zavaroni (4th November 1963 – 1st October 1999)

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's one of my most treasured "camp British TV variety show moments"...!

      Delete
  2. Lena had her own show didn't she? Another victim of the British press, because they called her chubby etc - I remember that it made me conscious about my own chubby thighs - and I was younger than Lena.
    Anyhow, very camp!!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This clip is from her show! Yes, the tabloid press has more blood on its hands than anyone apart from organised religions. Even now. Jx

      Delete
  3. What an odd production number filled with a lot of talent. SO camp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a masterpiece example of "if a thing's worth doing, it's worth over-doing"... Jx

      Delete
  4. That Wayne Sleep looks like Gene Kelly could step over him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it. Love it Love it.
    Elaine Stritch would upstage almost anyone even with out trying too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't fancy trying to share a stage with Stritchy! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]