Saturday 2 March 2024

Dizzying

It's another "snippets" post today, dear reader!

  • Sad news: We raise our glasses in tribute, as the world bids a fond farewell to eccentric centenarian style maven Iris Apfel, "Patron Saint" here at Dolores Delargo Towers, doyenne of magazine covers and fashion shoots across the globe at an age when most grannies are content to put their feet up and watch daytime telly, who has departed to preside over Fabulon. "I don't do minimal" was her watchword. Amen to that! [More Iris here, here, here, here and here]
  • "Woke gone mad" news: Children's classic Mary Poppins is the latest film to be subject to the seemingly never-ending tide of revisionist editing of history, as the British Board of film classification has increased its rating from "U" (unclassified) to "PG" (parental guidance needed), due to that fact that it uses the word "Hottenot" to describe South African native tribesmen. WTF?!
  • Rimming on TV news: Queer As Folk - the original UK Channel 4 series, not the tacky American remake that went on far, far too long - is celebrating 25 years since it shocked, and changed, the television-viewing world. Here's that rimming scene, for your delectation. You're welcome.
  • Dubious "gay allies" news: None other than millionaire thug Mike Tyson, after being challenged by the utterly fearless Peter Tatchell, has made a surprisingly positive statement about gay rights, saying: “I oppose all discrimination against gay people, OK?”.

  • And finally: Britain's favourite sexy gay pop-minx Olly Alexander has finally released the video (and full version) of his UK entry for the Eurovision Song Contest 2024! Verrrry Pet Shop Boys...

I would give you an update on today's weather, but it's shit, so I won't bother...

12 comments:

  1. Ill be in layers and layers of black for at least four months. I learned of Iris last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I ever saw Iris wearing black. I think I might make my return to work on Monday into a tribute by wearing an item from every Gay Pride outfit in our wardrobes, with huge glasses to set the ensemble off! Jx

      Delete
    2. If that is your plan...seeing most of your gay pride ensembles...youll pull it off dear.

      Delete
  2. Colorée Iris Apfel, une lumière vive de la scène de la mode new-yorkaise, sa lumière brillera désormais dans Fabulon.
    * d'Anjou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her light would shine brilliantly wherever she went! Jx

      Delete
  3. Iris Apfel is forever an icon. She truly knew how to mix it up. And I agree that Queer As Folk USA didn’t hold a candle to the original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Mixing it up" is not always an easy look to pull off - but Iris always did it with aplomb!

      The original QAF was superior in every way to the US remake. I tried watching it, and had to switch off. The smugness... Jx

      Delete
  4. What a woman and one of my role models. Back in the day, I had crossed paths many times with her at events. Seems a lifetime ago. She was adored by my anyhow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a role model for so many generations... Jx

      Delete
  5. Nobody lives for ever but I thought Iris Apfel was going to prove them wrong.
    An amazing woman. 102 and still a sad loss. She died to young.

    This is the first time I have heard Olly's song and I love it. I also love the 'Sling' that he had set up in his garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris will remain immortal!

      I think that Olly's song is a grower - but a winner? Hmmm... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]