Sunday 17 March 2024

Sláinte Agus Táinte!

Do you have any Irish in you?

Would you like some..?


[clockwise from top left: Jamie Dornan*, Cillian Murphy, Colin Farrell, Aidan Turner]

Happy Paddy's Day, dear reader!

By way of a celebration, here are two proud Irish boys, showing off their quite remarkable - ahem - talents...

And here, something a bit tackier...

Myth-busting facts about Paddy's Day "traditions":

  • Porter or stout is a drink invented in London around the 1720s (possibly earlier); Arthur Guinness only started marketing his brand of the drink in Dublin in 1778.
  • Saint Patrick was Welsh.
  • There was no real link between the 5th century missionary activities of St Patrick and the Shamrock until a botanist wrote about it in 1726.
  • Scotland as whole has a higher percentage of ginger people than Ireland.
  • Many believe that the Paddy's Day celebrations in March were in fact invented as a way to lift the usual fasting restrictions of Lent and provide an excuse for a day's drinking.
  • St Patrick's Day parades began in North America in the 18th century but did not spread to Ireland until the 20th century.

I raise a glass of "the amber nectar" - clink, clink!

[*Yes, I know Jamie Dornan was born in Northern Ireland, so is British, but...how could I resist?]

15 comments:

  1. Saint Patrick as a youth was captured by pirates; you know how pirates are, I'm sure there were all sorts of hijinks with Patty belowdecks. If he was lucky, maybe they looked like Colin Farrell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do enjoy watching the Gardiner Brothers dance — and the other 4 do almost anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certain parts of the Gardiner Brothers were doing their own jiggle, which is always nice to watch. Jx

      Delete
  3. I'd better leave Aidan Turner for Ms Scarlet, but I'll certainly entertain Colin Farrell, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That leaves me Mr Dornan and Mr Murphy. I'm not complaining. Jx

      Delete
  4. AIDAN TURNER!!!!!! Well, this is a fine return to the blogs!! Thank you!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do have some Irish in me, and at times I have had even more Irish in me. Happy Saint Patrick's Day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I've had plenty of Irish in me, too - and vice versa.

      "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the devil knows you're dead!"

      Clink, clink, a chara! Jx

      Delete
  6. I once had an erotic dream about Darragh Ennis from The Chase, now every time he's on it, I give my nipples a sly tweak, like I do with Ben Shepherd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having never watched daytime telly, I had no clue who either of these two were, and had to look them up. You can keep 'em. Jx

      Delete
  7. Oh dear! the thing I noticed about the be-towelled one is his left nipple area. If he was mine I'd frog march him to a doctor for a cancer check-up.
    But perhaps it's just that he's been nibbled by someone? Yes, that's probably it....
    But slainte anyway! To all of us.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]