Tuesday 19 March 2024

You've done it all, you've broken every code

The music world lost another great talent on the weekend - Mr Steve Harley, the peacock-strutting founder and lead singer of Cockney Rebel.

Many, many panegyrics are out there dedicated to this faboo man, so I will simply just pay my own little tribute with some classics from his musical repertoire, starting with the band's breakthrough hit...

The latter song - one of the most-played songs in British broadcasting history - has been covered hundreds of times since its success in 1975, including by Duran Duran, The Wedding Present, Suzi Quatro, Robbie Williams with Tom Jones, and this lot!

RIP, Steve Harley (born Stephen Malcolm Ronald Nice, 27th February 1951 – 17th March 2024)

8 comments:

  1. I remember Cockney Rebel but don’t recognize any of these songs. Odd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Odd indeed, as these three were their biggest hits... Jx

      Delete
  2. Now Steve was sexy - I think I could even recognise that when I was nine! And I remember all the tunes.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did look like he could have been very naughty... Jx

      Delete
  3. RIP. He was BEAUTIFUL 🫡


    I've always loved Andy Bell's version, gay as fuck. Just like me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy Bell is a fabulosa performer - and Erasure's was the best tribute to Steve Harley of any of 'em! Jx

      Delete
  4. Feather cut Mullet, big glasses, cheekbones to die for and one of the sexiest voices ever. All of that and he was an absolutely decent chap to boot. what's not to love.
    Oh and I loved his music too
    A sad loss RIP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He certainly seemed like a really nice fella, by all accounts. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]