Saturday 23 March 2024

Send him the Crowns

There is very little I can say about one of our greatest Patron Saints and icons, the genius that was Mr Stephen Sondheim - who would have been 94 years old yesterday - than I have already written. One only has to check out the week of tributes I did after his death in 2021 to know that:

Since then, we have added the Old Friends gala and Pacific Overtures to the list of Sondheim shows we've seen.

Safe to say, we are arch-Sondheimites, who "worship at his altar"...

Of course, by the spookiest of coincidences, Mr Sondheim shared the day with another (lesser) god of the theatre - Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber (76)!

On this day of (belated) celebrations, what better than an old, old fave? - that classic tongue-in-cheek duet between the two great men, from the 1998 tribute revue for impresario Cameron Mackintosh, Hey Mr Producer:

I never tire of it!

Stephen Joshua Sondheim (22nd March 1930 - 26th November 2021)

Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber, Baron Lloyd-Webber (born 22nd March 1948)

10 comments:

  1. I’m with you when it comes to Sondheim. What a genius.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just noticed the other day that Stephen wrote "Sooner or Later." I suppose I knew that once, but alas, once is far off, in the weeds, the mist. Can't smell it, can't hear it. Wait a minute, why am I here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes - he wrote both Sooner or Later and Back In Business for Dick Tracy.

      Sondheim and Madonna - a true "Clash of the Titans"! Jx

      Delete
  3. I grew up loving Cole Porter and Noel Coward. And then, Mr. Sondheim. I shall have the most glorious themes running through my dreams...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr Sondheim moved in exalted circles - he was mentored by Oscar Hammerstein II, worked with Richard Rodgers, and once consulted Cole Porter for help with a lyric! I have no clue whether he and Noel Coward ever crossed paths, but I imagine they might... Jx

      Delete
  4. Wow, the 22nd gave birth to the greats, didn't it. Mr Devine is in good company.
    And that's a great clip!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exalted company indeed - also born on 22nd March were Karl Malden, Marcel Marceau, Roger Whittaker, George Benson, Beverley Knight, Susan Ann Sulley of Human League, Reese Witherspoon and, of course William Shatner!

      I love that duet, too. So unexpected! Jx

      Delete

  5. 'Genius' is too small a word for Stephen Sondheim

    Interesting poster

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Jx

      PS The caricature is by the legendary Al Hirschfeld. Many of his works have been dotted around on this here blog over the years...

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]