Tuesday 26 March 2024

I don't think you are born an icon



Miss Ross. The Boss. The most glittering of stars is 80 years old today!

"With the Supremes I made so much money so fast all I wanted to do was buy clothes and pretty things. Now I'm comfortable with money and it's comfortable with me."

"I don't think getting in and out of a limousine has anything to do with being an icon."

"Icon. What is an icon? When someone is iconic it means they have established a certain kind of legacy possibly, and I think it does come with time. I'm not really sure. But I don't think you are born an icon."

"It takes a long time to get to be a diva. I mean, you gotta work at it."

"In the end, you really just need to believe in yourself."

She certainly does that!

By way of a tribute, let's start with two fine examples of the great lady hitting the dressing-up box as only she can [Bob Mackie, I know you're hiding in there somewhere!]:

Next up, Miss Ross in full "Disco Diva" mode:

Her biggest-selling hit of all, and arguably the point at which she became a global megastar:

And, finally, the campest of the lot! [Yes, I know I have played it more than once before, but I never tire of it!]

Many happy returns, Diane (Diana) Ernestine Earle Ross (born 26th March 1944)

14 comments:

  1. LOVE HER!
    She IS an icon.
    Upside Down is my jam. But I'm partial to ... So you know where you're going to?

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like her.....but far from one of her biggest fans. I never got on the Diana and Babs boat for some odd reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand. Neither of those ladies appear in my "Patron Saints" list [in the right-hand column of this blog], either. Nor Tina Turner. Nor Aretha. I love 'em all - but "at arm's length"... Jx

      Delete
  3. I love Chain Reaction, Diana Ross plus the BeeGees, it's like gay excess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing exceeds like excess, dear Peenee! Jx

      Delete
  4. Not my fave rave. A chacon son gout

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Le malheur des uns fait le bonheur des autres. Jx

      Delete
  5. The Wiz was on telly the other night, watching Diana being chased by pillars was too much sober, so I turned it off and watched the old Prisoner Cell Block H that I recorded earlier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Wiz was truly dreadful. First time I saw it on telly back in the '80s, I turned it off when I saw that wig. Never bothered again.

      Prisoner Cell Block H, on the other hand, was cult late-night viewing! [Made all the more complicated by the fact that our house in Wales was on the top of a hill and could pick up that show on Westward, HTV and Central - but, because all three regions started showing it at different times, it was like some kind of weird Quantum Leap if you turned the wrong one on and tried to work out who anyone was 🤣.] Jx

      Delete
  6. Ms. Ross was not born an icon, She got there by blood, sweat and tears.
    Other peoples blood, sweat and tears!
    Don't like her as a person but love the music. She is part of the soundtrack to my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does seem to have been around for ever! Bless her. The bitch. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]