Wednesday 10 July 2024

Never being boring

You know you're getting old when...

...you realise that the godlike genius that is Mr Neil Tennant is (scarily) 70 years old today!!

All hail...

Here are just a few of our favourites from his long and estimable career:

The one that makes me cry:

And finally, the one that started it all:

"You should always celebrate your successes because someone else will celebrate your failures."

"An issue I've had is: is it possible to be a pop star without selling sex? And ultimately I think to have mass selling pop music it is not possible to do it without selling sex. That's why I think we're not as successful as I think our music could be."

"We do politics through satire. I think when you get activist pop, that's the problem."

"A lot of what used to be known as gay culture - broadly speaking, homoeroticism and being camp - has been brought into mainstream culture. I think we should be moving to an era where it's just sex."

"The first club I ever really went to was this club on Neal Street, in London. It was a gay club – we used to pronounce it ‘Shag-o-ramas’, but it was spelt Chaguramas. It’s the name of a Spanish sheep or something."

"It's fundamental that what we do only exists in our own universe. When you like Pet Shop Boys, you are in our world."

Neil Francis Tennant (born 10th July 1954)

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. A hero, an icon, and - dare I say it? - a "national treasure"..! Jx

      Delete
  2. ADORED!!!!! And adore them, and their huge catalog of songs. Not a bad one in the bunch. And he could be your brother! When I first saw your picture...I immediately thought of Neil Tennant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been said before - but in the immortal words of Harvey Fierstein in Torch Song Trilogy: "Remember. I'm the pretty one!"

      Jx

      Delete
  3. So much great music! What an icon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much to choose from, too! Fifteen studio albums, five live albums, nine compilation albums, four remix albums, five soundtrack albums, four extended plays and over seventy singles, apparently...

      Delete
  4. I love the Pet Shop Boys earlier music like your selections - Mr Tennant (and Mr Lowe) is undoubtedly a "godlike genius"!

    "What Have I Done To Deserve This" always makes me want to play Robbie Williams' "No Regrets" afterwards (which I did after listening to it just now) which Neil Tennant (and Neil Hannon) provide backing vocals for. I think it's because of the similar befeathered dancing girls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 70 Glorious years !
    an awesome talent.
    Diva!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scary to think of him being 70... but then again, so are John Travolta, Annie Lennox, Denzel Washington, Elvis Costello, Adam Ant and Cheryl Baker from Bucks Fizz this year! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]