Saturday 20 July 2024

I meant the next street. Not this man's lawn.

Sad news. A peerless comedy talent - whose deadpan delivery inspired generations of comedians who followed - Mr Bob Newhart has died, aged 94.

We never had any of his shows - radio or television - in the UK, as far as I am aware, but his "Best Of" comedy LP was definitely in our family collection when I was growing up...

...probably mainly for this immortal sketch of his (here - ahem - ably assisted my none other than Dino himself):

Utter genius!

RIP, Bob Newhart (5th September 1929 – 18th July 2024)

9 comments:

  1. He was a comic genius and I especially loved his first series where he played a psychiatrist. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It could have been worse - you could have called him a "psychopath".

      He was indeed a genius, and I had quite forgotten all about him until I read that he had died. Who the hell even knew he was still alive? Jx

      Delete
  2. I still have at least one LP. (And Shelly Berman!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember whether I still have this LP (I haven't checked the LP boxes for decades!), but I'm pretty sure among the comedy treasures I still have Monty Python Live At Drury Lane, Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band I'm The Urban Spaceman, Joan Turner's Workshop and Spike Jones and his City Slickers King of |Corn (and probably much more besides)... Jx

      PS No idea who Shelly Berman is or was.

      Delete
  3. His shows were always gold. The Bob Newhart Show and later, Newhart were always on the tube Monday nights. I mostly remember Newhart more so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I say, his hit shows Stateside never transferred "across the pond", but his comedy surpasses such boundaries... Jx

      Delete
  4. I only knew his work from LPs too. He was a great and talented comedian.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]