Sunday 14 July 2024

Found wanting?


[click to embiggen]

Madam Arcati and I concluded our "choral triptych" - we saw Faure's Requiem in March, and Verdi's Requiem in June - at the Cadogan Hall last night, with the biggest and most OTT of the lot, William Walton's Belshazzar's Feast.

Famously, the piece requires a huge vocal ensemble (last night's production had two choirs - Epsom Choral Society and the Barnes Choir), and just about every instrument in the orchestral canon. Indeed, the renowned wit and esteemed conductor Sir Thomas Beecham (who was very sniffy about the work as it was about to receive its premiere) said to the young William Walton: "As you'll never hear the thing again, my boy, why not throw in a couple of brass bands?" So he did.

It's impressive, that's for certain, if not exactly my "cup of tea" either. It's based upon one of those dramatic Old Testament stories full of smiting: the Jews are in exile as slaves in Babylon and the tyrant Belshazzar commits sacrilege by taking their sacred vessels for his guests and concubines to use at a lavish feast, bringing damnation upon his head. It includes the original source of the phrase "the writing's on the wall" - "You have been weighed in the balances, and found wanting." Belshazzar's subsequent death and the fall of his empire become the cause of great celebration for the Jews. Noisily.

It is, of course, another phrase from that original story [later repeated in one of the Psalms] that has become even more famous in popular culture - not least in this eternal classic. I couldn't possibly imagine two more polar opposite pieces of music - but hey, that's the way my mind works!


PS

It's France's greatest day of celebration, Le Quatorze Juillet (or Bastille Day)...

...so here's some coq gaulois, for your delectation:

Ooh, la, la!

10 comments:

  1. We’re thinking about dinner. Maybe some coq gaulois for dessert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He would be a feast worthy of Belshazzar! Jx

      Delete
  2. Now I forgot what I was going to say about the music piece...I got distracted by the Bastille Day. And I bet they are really celebrating this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not as much as the Spanish - winners of both the men's Wimbledon tennis final and the European football championships (beating England)... Jx

      Delete
  3. Mais oui, bon French bloke.... I've also forgotten what I was going to say about the music!!!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor old Walton - pushed to one side by another Willy! Jx

      Delete
  4. Fab evening and I just knew you would sneak in Boney M.

    Death to King Louis !
    and
    Vive La France !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always though that William Walton could have done with a little more Lurex.

      Marchons! Oui, marchons! Indeed. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]