Saturday 13 July 2024

New, nuevo, yeni, laatste

It's Saturday, it's grey and humid, and it's time for a little sojourn into some of the "newer" music that has caught my ear of late...

First up, something (relatively) new that is actually really quite old! It's also quite appropriate, since one of its creators Pino D'Angiò died last week. This track was originally produced way back in 1990, became a worldwide hit when it was remixed by Jam'n'Spoon in 1992, and has gone on to become a trance classic, with perpetual remixes and re-workings - right up to 2022, with this one:

In complete contrast, here's a faboo "fusion" between the traditional music of Kenya and Western musical genres, released at the turn of this year, but - despite the fact that Madam Arcati's been raving about it for months - it's taken me this long to actually feature here:

Veering back towards potential chart territory [whatever that actually means these days, in a world where merely watching a video on YouTube can actually count towards a place in the charts for the song it is promoting], here's Our Princess Kylie in collaboration with some lesser mortals (on what is, tbh, not much of a song, but I am prepared to give it a few more listens...):

I was strangely drawn to this rather stylish lady, with her modern and rather glittering tribute to one of our fave genres, Disco...

Miss Katy Perry pleases feminists everywhere by singing a song about female empowerment while jiggling her breasts at a camera:

"Big Willy" is back! - with a rather jolly choon [for a change]:

And finally... Saving the best to last, Dame Sophie of the Ellis-Bextors deigns to help out one of her continental acolytes - with spectacular results!

As ever, dear reader, I'd love to know your thoughts...

10 comments:

  1. Hope to have time to sit and listen to all these later today. I’m grateful for the “newer” music. I haven’t been keeping up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Age of Love :- 😬
    Serb and Sofiya:- Might be a grower.
    Kylie:- I agree with what you said - I'll give it a chance, but it doesn't immediately grab me.
    Lexxe:- I would love the opportunity to wear a glittery dress!
    Katy Perry:- A Whiskey drinker, but why is she wrinkling up her nose at it???! And she made sure she looked the best in the line-up, so not really a woman's woman?!!
    Will Young:- I have a soft spot for Will - I like his mellow voice.
    Felix and Sophie:- You're right, this is the best of the bunch! Sophie has that instantly recognisable voice that you just want to listen to.

    Thank you for the introductions!!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you got the same impression of Miss Perry's video - if she's all about women's rights, why's she behaving like such a cow in the video?

      Thanks for the feedback - pleased to note you enjoyed so much of the selection on offer! Now, where did I put that glittery frock...? Jx

      Delete
  3. Nuns nowadays are behaving like harlots.
    Nay nay and thrice nay!
    no
    Prefer Disco Duck.
    no
    Will Young, I like the singer and song but not the video.
    Yes, you did leave the best til last, however, I would have preferred a better looking man in the video, someone less feminine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mitzi, for your review - I always rather imagined you as a "Big Willy" fan.

      As for the Sophie video - I shall send a sternly-worded letter on Basildon Bond, asking for a semi-naked Chris Hemsworth next time. Jx

      Delete
  4. I agree...Dame Sophie is my favorite in the bunch. She really can't make a wrong sound. While I love the message of Perry's lastest....much like Dua Lipa, she is hit or miss with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never really rated Miss Perry either. One of a long line of "meh" artists, like Avril Lavigne, Taylor Swift, Ellie Goulding, Rita Ora and so on - can't really garner sufficient interest in any of them to hate, but merely nod and move on...

      Sophie Ellis-Bextor, on the other hand, can do no wrong! Jx

      Delete
  5. As much as I'd love to say that Dame Sophie's is my favourite, she has to share the spotlight with LEXXE - Disco Witch is FABULOUS! (I'd like to see a glittery mash-up video - and song, perhaps - with BabyAngel69's "Cruel Intentions"!)
    Kylie and "the lesser mortals" shares second place with Zerb and Sofiya. The rest are entertaining enough.

    Thank you, Jon, for "Disco Witch"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh. I really have managed to uncover some "playlist faves", haven't I? I'd quite forgotten how much you liked BabyAngel69, then there was Confidence Man (who you've mentioned more than once on your own blog), and now Lexxe...

      There's (surprisingly) quite a few decent tracks around lately, and I may need to do another "Pick of the Pops" next week! Jx

      PS I found an excoriating review of Miss Perry's track, courtesy of The Guardian, that I think everyone who's commented so far might enjoy...

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]