Saturday 6 July 2024

He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink

Another snippets post today, dear reader:

  • A little less mascara: Parisian drag cabaret club Chez Michou, which inspired La Cage aux Folles (the Jean Poiret play, the classic 1978 French film and its musical adaptation), is set to close its doors for good after 68 years. [Read my tribute to Michou over at the Dolores Delargo Museum of Camp]
  • A.I. Zombies news: Audiobooks "read by" the voices of dead stars such as Judy Garland, James Dean and Sir Laurence Olivier have been launched by an AI company in London.
  • Marsupial-cuddling controversy: A koala sanctuary in Australia where high-profile guests from Taylor Swift to Vladimir Putin have been photographed with them has banned cuddles with the animals.

We are also apparently at the end of Alcohol Awareness Week. I'm aware of it, in large quantities! So are this lot:

13 comments:

  1. One of my favorite songs! I’ve sung it so many times in my life. And I’ve drunk many a whiskey drink, vodka drink, lager drink, and Cider drink. Don’t cry for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You get knocked down, but you get up again, Mitchell! Jx

      Delete
  2. "Dierdre Chambers! What a coincidence!" While out walking Bitey between bouts of rain, I was just thinking I should watch La Cage aux Folles this evening, and your post has convinced me to, thank you.

    P.S. I wonder when the first planes resembling hippos will start to be seen in our skies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't forget to try and walk like John Wayne...

      "Hippo Airways"?! It could only be better than Ryanair! Jx

      Delete
  3. One of my favourites, too!
    I read that article on the BBC this morning… his merry band looks more together than the disorganised rabble I was with briefly - thankfully no photographic evidence, or audio!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pic from The Guardian was on the BBC website as well!
      Sx

      Delete
    2. Starmer's gang look like they're doing one of our famed "mock 80s album cover photo" poses! Jx

      Delete
    3. Haha - you look very cool! But yes they do!
      Sx

      Delete
  4. One of you will have to tell me which is Starmer! As for cuddling a koala...dear gods! The poor beasts have rampant clamidia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our future PM is the snub-nosed one with the eyeliner and the chequered shirt, on the floor. I think someone's tried (unsuccessfully) air-brush out the spliff in his hand 🤪... Jx

      Delete
    2. PS I assume someone's been doing more than cuddling, if the poor koalas caught chlamydia.

      Delete
  5. I was unaware of what week it was. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]