Saturday, 25 July 2026

Classix Nouveaux?

As I gather myself to go and meet up with Hils, Crog, Madam Arcati [who is heading from work] and Mother to go and gawp at a cornucopia of the late HM The Queen's outfits over the decades of her long life, I thought I would leave you, dear reader, with another selection of "newer" choons that have caught my ear of late...

First up, the very welcome - and unexpected - return of an old fave from the 1990s:

Here's someone who owes a great musical debt to another decade altogether - the '80s. Shades of Depeche Mode, methinks:

Now, this is a queen who just adores his dressing up box (and Troye Sivan, too, from the sound of it):

MySpace's most successful "discovery" is back - with a darker tone than her previous hits, too. It takes a couple of listens, but I like it:

Our Princess returns, in a most surprising collaboration, indeed. More surprising was that this appearance, and this entire video, was shot just down the road from us in Alexandra Palace - and we didn't know... Dammit!

I was fully expecting Kylie to occupy the "saving the best to last" slot - and then I watched/heard this! It's simply faboo:

As ever, I'd love to hear your thoughts...

8 comments:

  1. Nice to hear Natalie back again, I've always liked her voice.
    Ha ha - Does sound like a cross between Depeche Mode and Tears For Fears! I like it!
    Saint Micah - Sounds familiar, but I am not so keen.
    Charli xcx - Too repetitive for me - makes me feel like I want silence!
    Snow Patrol and Kylie - I love!!!
    Becky Hill - Bit repetitive - I prefer Snow Patrol and Kylie.

    Hope everyone had a great time at the exhibition!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to find you liked some of 'em, at least! Jx

      Delete
  2. Great music.
    In Just Drive, Natalie Imbruglia sings “the rain’s fallin’ hard.” But it’s not. So annoying.
    Great visuals on The Grind. Love it.
    These Alarms, great team up. Ah, Kylie!
    The Becky Hill video is powerful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could do with some rain too, Natalie!
      Saint Micah's visuals are much more OTT than the song, tbh.
      It's good to know that you found some interesting stuff here, Mitchell! Jx

      Delete
  3. Natalie Imbobalula as my friend used to call her. Lovely inoffensive(?) little number, but was that a bit of road rage at 2:25?

    I was never that into Depeche Mode (or Tears For Fears, for that matter), so "Truth You Seek" may not get another listen.

    I quite like "Grind" even though the music and video are somewhat derivative. You're right about the dressing up box, though.

    Sorry, Charlie xcx - it's a X from me.

    Kylie and Snow Patrol - Brilliant! I love this and have listened to it many, many times.

    I was rather disappointed that Becky Hill hadn't covered Kylie's "What Do I Have To Do?" so that wasn't a good start, but it was okay. I might give it another go and watch the video this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cant imagine the saintly Miss Imbobalula getting road rage!

      "Never that into Depeche Mode or Tears For Fears"?!! A heretic lives amongst us...

      Several of these choons are indeed "growers" - on first listen, meh, but there are some hooks in all of them that whetted my appetite. Jx

      Delete
  4. Great selection and yes Becky Hill wins the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sweetie - Miss Hill's video was quite a revelation. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]