Wednesday 23 September 2020

Don't you come back no more, no more, no more, no more

As well as the centenary of the distinctly unlikeable Mickey Rooney, another incongruous assortment of "names" share a birthday today, including Bruce Springsteen, Julio Iglesias, John Coltrane, Romy Schneider, Cherie Blair, Walter Pidgeon, Deborah Orr, Aldo Moro, Danielle Dax, Nicholas Witchell, Emperor Augustus, Floella Benjamin, Yvette Fielding and Kublai Khan - and it would also have been the 90th birthday of the legendary Ray Charles.

Truth be told, apart from the classic Georgia On My Mind, this - his only hit here in the UK, way back in 1961 - is the only song of his with which I am really familiar...

...but it is a corker!

Takes the mind off the rain, I suppose...

9 comments:

  1. Mickey Rooney, Sonny Bono, and Ike Turner, all blasted off the stage by powerful charismatic women

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ike was a wife-beater. Rooney was married eight times, divorced six times, one wife was suspiciously murdered then he married her best friend, and he was even separated from wife #8 when he died. They probably had a lot in common. Jx

      Delete
    2. Well Judy Garland and Tina Turner obliterated them if that helps, or just reduced them to footnotes in someone else's story.

      I know nothing, good or bad, about Sonny Bono.

      Thanks for bringing up Ray Charles. I will go listen to him now.

      Delete
  2. Oh and happy birthday Ray Charles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. spouse and I saw him live a few years before his death; this would have been in the 90s. FABU show! there will never be another brother ray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was still planning another tour shortly before he became ill and died - remarkable old trouper! Jx

      Delete
  4. But do you remember this about Ray Charles?
    Was he actually driving - or was a plane circling above him making it look like he was driving?!! I'm sure they only showed this ad once on TV, and it was an event, meaning we turned on just to watch the ad!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet the camera crew kept having to jump out of his way shouting "I said LEFT!" Just as well it wasn't filmed on a road... Jx

      Delete
  5. NOTE - 25th Sept: Again, if anyone suddenly finds this has appeared at the top of their Reading List, I have not done this myself.

    The gnomes at Google had better sort this out soon..

    Jx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]