Wednesday 31 March 2021

Spiteful girl, hateful boy


click to embiggen

Timeslip moment again...

...and yes, we've fallen through the void and landed in the heady (and distant), gender-bending, recession-hit world of my coming-of-age year again.

In the news in late March/early April 1981: an assassination attempt on U.S. President Ronald Reagan by John Hinckley (who said he did it to impress his fantasy love Jody Foster); the Social Democratic Party (SDP) was launched by four notable defectors from the Labour Party, Shirley Williams, Bill Rodgers, Roy Jenkins and David Owen; the first London Marathon was held; and Great Train Robber Ronnie Biggs was rescued after his kidnapping in Brazil. In our cinemas: Tess; Superman II; and Chariots of Fire had its premiere. On telly: Ronnie Corbett in Sorry!; the final episode of Robin's Nest; and Tom Baker left Doctor Who after seven years and was replaced by Peter Davison.

And in our charts this week forty years ago? Shaky (Shakin' Stevens) was celebrating week two of his first #1 hit This Ole House, unfortunately holding off Kim Wilde from her rightful place at the top. Also present and correct were Bucks Fizz (who were about to win the Eurovision Song Contest, held on 4th April), Stevie Wonder, Toyah, Roxy Music, Landscape (Einstein a Go-Go), Coast to Coast, Lynx and - erm - folk singer Tony Capstick with his novelty hit Capstick Comes Home, a nostalgic narrated tale over the brass band music from the Hovis bread advert (Sibelius New World Symphony). It was crap, and he was never heard of again.

Never mind all that, hovering just outside the Top Ten (and never destined to go any further, more's the pity), there was this slice of New Romantic genius!

My painted face
Is chipped and cracked
My mind seems
To fade too fast
Clutching straws
Sinking slow
Nothing less, nothing less

A puppet's motions
Controlled by a string
By a stranger
I've never met
A nod of the head
And a pull of the thread
I can't say no, can't say no

When a child throws out a toy
When I was new you wanted me
Now I'm old you no longer see

When a child throws out a toy
Spiteful girl
Hateful boy
When a child throws out a toy

I'm all dressed up
And nowhere to go
On a music box
That never stops
I'll dance for you
If you want me to
Move in time, move in time

A wooden head
And a broken heart
Used, abused
And torn apart
I gave you my best
And you gave me the rest
It's time to die, time to die

When a child throws out a toy
When I was new you wanted me
Now I'm old you no longer see

When a child throws out a toy
Spiteful girl
Hateful boy
When a child throws out a toy

When a child throws out a toy
When I was new you wanted me
Now I'm old you no longer see

When a child throws out a toy
Spiteful girl
Hateful boy
When a child throws out a toy

I loved that song sooooo much!

I do hope Steve Strange is lording it up in his rightful place - on the door at Fabulon, keeping the hoi-polloi out...

8 comments:

  1. Crikey! Somehow I remember watching Tom Baker turn into Peter Davison - I can't believe The Parents let me watch Doctor Who at that young age (I think they regretted it though, as I often had nightmares about the Daleks and other Who monsters, and crept in bed with them).

    The only Visage number I know (until now) was "Fade to Grey", but I rather like this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the weirdest one of all the Doctor transformations - from "mad old uncle" Tom Baker to... dishy Tristan Farnon from All Creatures Great and Small!

      Visage had several top 20 hits in 1981-82, but their star fizzled out thereafter... Jx

      Delete
  2. 1981...we moved to Australia "for a couple of years..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loathed Sorry, I could only bear about 10 minutes. Ugh.
    Aren't those puppets creepy?
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snap! I hated that programme, too.

      ALL puppets are scary... Jx

      Delete
  4. The U.K. won Eurovision! now that was a long time ago
    I am expecting 'Nil Point' this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deserved this year - our entry is crap! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]