Friday 26 March 2021

And there's this magic in the air

At bleedin' last! Gawd, this week has dragged - now the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter. Once this day in work is over, I won't be hunching over the teeny work laptop for the next sixteen days. Hurrah! And this weekend, the clocks go forward so all the evenings will be longer... Double hurrah!

So much cause for celebration - and to add to the party mood, it's also Miss Cathy Dennis's birthday!

She's a devilishly-talented hitmaker, that girl - among the songs she's written: Can't Get You Out of My Head and Come into My World for Kylie Minogue; Toxic for Britney Spears; Reach, Never Had a Dream Come True, Have You Ever and many more for S-Club 7; Sweet Dreams My LA Ex for Rachel Stevens; About You Now for Sugababes; I Kissed a Girl for Katy Perry; Catch You for Sophie Ellis-Bextor; and several hits for - yawn - X Factor winners.

But to get the party really started, let's whizz right back to 1989, to Miss Dennis's very first hit - and Thank Disco It's Friday!

Many happy returns, Catherine Roseanne Dennis (born 25th March 1969)

12 comments:

  1. My lands...just the other afternoon I was listening to her cd, Move to This.I loved her song Com'on and Get My Love, and Just Another Dream. I also have her follow up album Into the Skyline....rather pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike, dear. Clink, clink. Jx

      Delete
  2. Adore her. When she came on the scene I was in dance floor heaven. Sigh. I kept tabs on her for a time after her own hit making years, but had no idea she'd written all that. She had some great hits. Thank you for bringing her back to light. Now I have to dig through my CDs this morning....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the beginning there was Jack...and Jack said "Let there be House"!...

      From humble house music singer to hitmaker to the stars, we love her too. Jx

      Delete
  3. I hope your two weeks off doesn't fly by like my week off has for me. I can't believe it's Friday already - thank gods I thought to book Monday off as well.

    Ah, Cathy Dennis. One of Norfolk's finest exports (it's not just mustard and Myleene Klass, you know)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know - the county of Admiral Lord Nelson, Delia Smith, Olivia Colman, Rupert Everett, Sir James Dyson, "adopted son" Stephen Fry and, of course, Princess Diana (born at Sandringham)! And the "Turkey Twizzler". Jx

      PS I hate how quickly days off fly by, as opposed with those when we're in work...

      Delete
  4. I didn't realise she was responsible for all those songs! The girl did good.
    Sx

    P.S I think the weather is going to be really good at the start of next week - you might be very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting fact - her co-writer on Can't Get You Out of My Head and Come Into My World was Rob Davis, the camp one with the dangly earrings in Mud (the band, not the Devon lanes)...

      Jx

      PS it's forecast to hit 18C (the mid-60s in "old money") on Tuesday - bring it on!

      Delete
  5. Now you have a vacation and a soundtrack laid in - all that's left is the cape and you're SuperVacationer! Stand on a rocky prominence and look intrepid! Drink mass quantities! Get naked (except for cape) and crowd surf! Watch out world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Some people got it and make it pay.
      Some people can't even give it away.
      This people's got it
      and this people's spreadin' it around!
      You either have it
      or you've had it!"


      That's me - "Super" Momma Rose! Jx

      Delete
  6. So many great songs
    I love every one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! Especially S-Club and Kylie. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]