Tuesday 23 January 2024

Dropping like flies...

RIP, Marlena Shaw (22nd September 1942 – 19th January 2024):

[Read my tribute to the great lady on her 80th, and for the original version of this song.]

RIP, Pluto Shervington (13th August 1950 – 19th January 2024):

[Quite likely the first song that explicitly references marijuana to appear on Top of the Pops, or indeed on British telly as a whole!]

RIP, Mary Weiss of the Shangri-Las (28th December 1948 – 19th January 2024):

[See also here]

The dancefloor in Fabulon is filling up.

4 comments:

  1. The Shangri-Las were so good, and so cool. And they were screwed out of most of their earnings. Great music today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like so many of their contemporaries, they were treated as fodder by the record companies - and by their manager Shadow Morton. Jx

      Delete
  2. I am catching up working backwards. so many sad departures I worry about turning the page to the next post.
    Fabulous voice and a great loss
    I had forgotten 'Dat' and another sad loss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It's like buses - wait for ages for one, and loads come along all at once. Melanie joined them just recently, but I really can't see me rushing to do a post about Brand New Key.

      Both Miss Shaw and Miss Weiss were superb, and beloved. I, too, had forgotten all about Mr Shervington, however - and it was quite a surprise to be reminded of another of those earworms from the year of the infamous "Long Hot Summer"... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]