Thursday 25 January 2024

Your honest, sonsie face

Och Aye!

It's Burns Night tonight - when our Scottish chums perform strange rituals involving bagpipes (naturally), whisky (of course!) and inflated sausages filled with indeterminate offal, served with "neeps and tatties"!

Even south of the border, the ever-enterprising Wetherspoons has got in on the act.

Here's the traditional "Ode to a Haggis":

Fair fa’ your honest, sonsie face,
Great chieftain o’ the puddin’-race!
Aboon them a’ ye tak your place,
Painch, tripe, or thairm:
Weel are ye wordy o’ a grace
As lang’s my arm.

[Full text and translation here]

To round off the celebration - let's bring back our fave "kilt boys", shall we?!

Slàinte Mhath! [pronounced Slanj-a-va]

6 comments:

  1. Love the cartoon. And the Red Hot Chili Pipers are all that and more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love the Pipers - such a clever combination of styles! Jx

      Delete
  2. I think I have heard more covers of Don't Stop Believin' than I have any other song and that was certainly one of them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Tis funny - I had never heard the song until the drag queens (Crystal D'Canter and Kelly Mild) in my regular gay bar Halfway 2 Heaven added it to their Sunday routine more than a decade ago. They were bemused when I asked afterwards what it was.

      The fact it was released in 1981 (when electronic and New Romantic music was my world, not "soft-rock"), and the fact it actually only made #62 in the UK charts so wasn't exactly going to get airplay, are obvious reasons why it passed me by. The fact I avoided the shit TV show "Glee" (where it was revived) is another. Jx

      Delete
  3. Such a shame none of our English poets ever felt moved to write an Ode to the Faggot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine it taking off in the same way... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]