Thursday 11 January 2024

When you want to come

As we in London continue to endure the succession of crap winter throws at us - today alone, we've gone from frost to chilly winds to depressing drizzle and back again - it's worth a mention that 2024 is another year of milestones...

This year it will be the 80th anniversary of D-Day, the 60th of BBC2 and Mary Poppins, half-a-century since Abba's Waterloo, and the 40th anniversary of my coming-out, as well as that of the "Zola Budd controversy" at the Los Angeles Olympics, the assassination of Indira Gandhi, of Band Aid, This Is Spinal Tap, Purple Rain, The Reflex, Like a Virgin, Ghostbusters...and this lot!

For it was indeed on this very day in 1984 that "saintly" DJ Mike Read declared Frankie Goes to Hollywood's Relax to be disgusting, and refused to play it (swiftly followed by an "official ban" by the BBC)!

Here's how I first featured it, way back in 2011:

"There’s nothing that great about sex - never was. What usually comes from it? Sweat, fatigue, and dirty linens, then later unwanted pregnancies, and, of course, today there’s the health angle.

As for gay sex in particular: Nothing’s really that great about it. It’s very uncomfortable and many times vastly more complex than lovemaking in heterosexual counterparts.

When a boy and girl decide they are going to have sex, they roughly know what to expect. But before two men have sex, they practically have to hold a board meeting in order to figure out the agenda of what they’re going to do."
- Quentin Crisp
Really?


Not according to Frankie...

10 comments:

  1. I still love this song, video, and Frankie, etc. Quentin Crisp said a lot of things simply for the sound bite, I think. I sure don’t agree with this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear old Quentin could never resist an "acid quip". This was presumably from one of his touring "Audience with..." shows in the 80s and 90s, so yes - played up for the "outrage factor".

      Frankie outraged society in a parallel, if far coarser, fashion in his wake... Jx

      Delete
  2. What on earth could Quentin have been getting up to that was so complicated?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heaven only knows! Trying to position himself so his makeup didn't get smudged on the pillowcase? Jx

      Delete
  3. John Hurt, in the Crisp movie: "On the day war was declared, I went out and bought two pounds of henna. Well, one couldn't be sure when it would next be available." [perhaps not verbatim, but it made me laugh!]

    ReplyDelete
  4. And another Crisp gem: "I don't dust. Leave it long enough and it will settle and not even be noticeable."
    Christ! I couldn't live like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could.

      Another favourite: "It's no good being a pig farmer for 30 years, looking back and saying 'I was meant to be a ballet dancer'. By that time pigs are your style." Jx

      Delete
  5. fab then and still fab now.
    Mr Crisp was a role model that I failed to live up to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are perfect, you are sheer
      If you are a red-haired queer


      I tried to emulate him when I was younger, but he was unique... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]