Friday 26 January 2024

Full of ecstasy and fire

Relief is in sight - it's pay day, the skies are dazzling blue, we have a new trellis on the fence in the extensive gardens here at Dolores Delargo Towers, and the weekend's almost here...

In another to add to the long list of departures for Fabulon this week (see here and here), we bade a sad farewell to Herr Frank Farian. Who? I hear you ask.

Not only was Mr Farian one of the actual voices behind the "world's most famous mime act" Milli Vanilli, he was also the genius producer behind [literally - he also sang the male vocals, to which Bobby Farrell mimed] one of the biggest-selling bands in the UK ever, Boney M!

Although they sold gazillions of records in the glittering Disco era, they struggled to maintain the same level of success in the 80s and 90s and gradually faded out of view. Then suddenly in 2021, thanks to the machinations of a North London DJ and "eternally-bewitched-by-old-records" Tik-Tok users, this song became a hit all over again, in a slightly different form, with a splendidly daft video...

Thank Disco It's Friday!

Have a great weekend, dear reader!

4 comments:

  1. What do you know? I had no idea that wasn't little miss Farell singing on their tunes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lady Farrell was only hired for the way he shook his tush..! Jx

      Delete
  2. More sad news and another person I thought I had never heard of but actually do!
    I am always fascinated by ghost singers, Marni Nixon, Asha Bhosle etc. I was so interested to find out more about him I followed your link and then You-tubed his German hits under his own name. After watching Frank Farian sing - 'Spring über deinen Schatten, Tommy 1976' I know understand why he became a ghost singer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't speak German and can't be bothered to open Google Translate, but "Spring über deinen Schatten, Tommy" sounds like the opening of a nasty argument rather than a song. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]