Wednesday 21 August 2024

Damn right it's better than yours!

Sharing the day, as she does, with an assortment of random notables such as Dame Janet Baker (91), Princess Margaret, Aubrey Beardsley, Count Basie, Kenny Rogers, Usain Bolt, Kim Cattrall, Peter Weir, Friz Freleng, Patrick Juvet, King William IV, Barry Norman, Joe Strummer and Liam Howlett of the Prodigy, it's the 45th birthday today of Kelis (Rogers)!

Always more successful over here in the UK than she was in her native USA, it all began with this one [which I cannot deny I found irritating when it was first released, but - gulp! - 21 years down the line, it has become a bit of a camp classic, and we still sing it!]:

Surprisingly, there are quite a few other songs in her repertoire that - probably because they were all collaborations - she gets less credit for than she deserves, including these three:

Of all her work, however, this one [from summer 2010] remains my favourite:

Faboo!

6 comments:

  1. That’s amazing that Milkshake is 21 years old! I could teach you, but I’d have to charge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's terrifying how time flies...

      Both Olivia Rodrigo and Carlos Alcaraz were born that year - and she's had songs that hit #1 in the charts, and he won Wimbledon last year! Jx

      Delete
  2. Kelis passed me by and left me unruffled, but Happy Birthday anyhow.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean I found irritating when it was first released too, but now regard it as a classic. Damn right !
    Love 'Discloser' and 'Acapella'
    Happy birthday to them all and I would love to see a mash up of her, Dame Janet Baker, Kenny Rogers and the Prodigy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh. That would be a mash-up and a half! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]