Saturday 28 September 2024

Surrender yourself to extravagance

Maggie Smith once went with Kenneth Williams to Fortnum & Masons to buy a bra. Upon being told the price, she replied "Seven Guineas! It'd be cheaper to have your tits off!"

Flying for the first time in a helicopter, she observed: "I never thought I’d look down between my legs and see Guildford."

As Desdemona to Laurence Olivier’s Othello, he, in full black make-up, criticised her pronunciation; she faced off to him with a stentorian "How, now, brown cow!"

On completing her most famous role after six series: "I think the wig I wore in Downton is more tired than I am!"

As Serena McKellen has it, "Maggie's got a tongue on her."

Here are just a few of my favourite clips of the great Dame in action, from her long and brilliant career:

And, of course...

“If you have been around long enough you are an icon. A rather dusty icon... or a national treasure.”

There will never be another like her! RIP, Dame Margaret Natalie Smith, CH, DBE (28th December 1934 - 27th September 2024)


PS

Just one more slice of genius...

2 comments:

  1. I watched and enjoyed all of the clips. I've never seen a couple of the movies so I'll look for them. How wonderful she was.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, Janie. Dame Maggie had such a long and interesting career, it's entirely understandable you may have missed some. I've missed out clips myself, from such joys as Ladies in Lavender, Gosford Park, Tea With Mussolini, A Room With a View, Quartet and so on - as well as some from films of hers I also have never seen such as Harry Potter, Best Marigold Hotel or Lady in a Van... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]