Sunday 8 September 2024

Stormy?


[click to embiggen]

I spent another long day yesterday at John-John's, catching up with all the "Marvel geek" stuff I hadn't seen - the whole X-Men: 97 animated series and not one, but two of the original (20th Century Fox) X-Men films [which are not a patch on the cartoon, and quite half-arsed in comparison to anything Marvel's own studio has produced].

Deadpool didn't get a look in this time around, but I found the above spoof versions of the sort of advert that used to be in the comics I had when I was young, which are too good not to share, dear reader!

I got home (via Uber cab) in the wee small hours, just in time for the most tremendous thunderstorm!

Coincidence? Maybe.

Although all that's blown over, and today's weather's not that bad, I still think this old fave is appropriate...

...a track I previously described as "a battle-royal between Miss Viola Wills and Miss Lena Horne":

Faboo!

8 comments:

  1. I love the Deadpool ads. Hmm. Sea Monkeys, Army Men, 'Stay in School/Don't Do Drugs', and Charles Atlas? Oh and that disco rendition of Stormy Weather is WOW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deadpool has inspired so many comic artists to get a sense of humour! These ads are just fab.

      Glad you enjoyed the "big number"! Jx

      Delete
  2. I somehow missed all those Deadpool ads in my comics (back in the day)! I do remember the Charles Atlas ads! LOL We just watched "Stormy Weather" yesterday. I appreciate the disco version, but it will always be Lena Horne's version for me! The movie was an incredible moment in time for Black performers. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Deadpool ads are pastiches of original 60s/70s ones - as "Steve" (above) has listed...

      Lena Horne can do no wrong - we adore her! However, the combination of Miss Wills' Disco version lip-synched with Miss Horne's is just irresistible. Jx

      Delete
  3. All of those 'Marvel Comic' things are alien to me but I'm glad you enjoy them

    The Video is fantastic, Viola Wills is fab but if it came to a battle Royal then I think Miss Lena Horne would win. She usually did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have our hobbies.

      Miss Horne was an all-round winner! Every time. Jx

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. If they all grow into full-size Ryan Reynolds, that could be interesting... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]