Friday 13 September 2024

Come and feel my energy

Phew! Another busy week is dragging its heels - but the end in sight... Despite the fact it is Friday the Thirteenth (ooo-er!), it's still time for us to start letting our hair down, to get in the mood for a party...

...and have a bit of a "timeslip moment", to boot!

The USS Enterprise-D has deposited us three decades into the past, in the nexus of 1994 - the year of the Channel Tunnel, the IRA ceasefire, the Israel–Jordan peace treaty, Nelson Mandela and the final end of apartheid, the final end of the Cold War, Edwina Currie's support of the lowering of the age of consent for homosexual relationships to 16 which was rejected and followed by the passing of an amendment which made it 18, Fred and Rose West and the "House of Horrors" murders, the ordination of women priests, Silvio Berlusconi, Four Weddings and a Funeral, Sunday trading, Ace of Base, the so-called "Sharongate" saga in EastEnders, President Clinton, the sinking of the MS Estonia in the Baltic Sea with 852 deaths, Prince Charles' confession on TV of adultery with Camilla (and Diana wearing that iconic "little black dress" on the same day), Schindler's List, peace in Angola, the arrival of Tony Blair as opposition leader, Russian invasion of Chechnya, Mrs. Doubtfire, the "cash for questions" affair, Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, the Britpop "war" between Oasis and Blur, Newt Gingrich, Pulp Fiction, the arrest of OJ Simpson for murder, the Sony Playstation, genocide in Rwanda, Wet Wet Wet's Love Is All Around being at #1 for 15 weeks, Serial Mom, civil war in Yemen, "Life is like a box of chocolates", and the Michael Jackson-Lisa Marie Presley freakshow wedding...

...the year Tom Daley, Harry Styles, Justin Bieber, the National Lottery, Friends, Yahoo, AOL and Amazon were born; and the year Jackie Kennedy Onassis, Peter Cushing, Roy Castle, Burt Lancaster, Fanny Cradock, Cesar Romero, Telly Savalas, Labour leader John Smith, Henry Mancini, John Curry, Kurt Cobain, Cab Calloway, Dan Hartman, Stephen Milligan MP, Derek Jarman, Dennis Potter, Harry Nilsson, Ayrton Senna and Doris Speed all died.

It was also a peak year in "The Decade of Dance". So let's load the "Club Classics" cassette into the Walkman, and with not one, not two, but three classics from that very year - Thank Disco(?) It's Friday!!

First up, some noise [and I went mad for this when I first heard it!]:

...some trance:

...and, from this very week thirty years ago [EEK!], this!

Have a great weekend, dear reader!!

12 comments:

  1. I love Rhythm of the Night, and I needed something to get dancing today (or at least sitting up in my chair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scary to think it's as old as Tom Daley, Harry Styles and Justin Bieber, isn't it?! Jx

      Delete
    2. Wer find ourselves often saying, “Well that was recent” only to realize that 1994 is NOT recent.

      Delete
    3. Sigh. I feel that all the time - I mean, Kylie Minogue's Can't Get You Out Of My Head was twenty-three years ago, ffs! That feels like it was only yesterday... Jx

      Delete
  2. What?!?!? All that happened in 1994? That's crazy! As for Oasis vs Blur I choose Oasis. For me that year was trying to keep a job, failing out of college and trying not to die at the hands of my abusive boyfriend. I escaped it all in March 1995 by joining the military where I could get paid for the abuse I was forced to tolerate and earn free college credits, brilliant!

    I love Priscilla, Queen of the Desert! In 1995 we got Boys on the Side and that movie made me laugh and cry a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite a momentous year - but I have to admit I never heard of Boys on the Side and, despite looking it up, am no wiser. Jx

      Delete
  3. 1994 - I was 45, married 25 years, 4 kids - 2 out of college, 1 in college and 1 in high school. Thanks for reminding me of all the other things that happened that year, sweetpea, because I sure as well wouldn't have remembered! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1994 - I was 31, still living in Wales with my late partner, and, according to the calendar of that year I went to Tunisia, The Gower peninsula and Swansea, Morlaix in Brittany, Cornwall, Gay Pride in London, a packet steamer ride across the Bristol Channel, and to Amsterdam, among other trips.. I was probably a bit preoccupied too! Jx

      Delete
  4. I, too, remember 1994. My belly was flat and my hairline was considerably further south than it is now. And I love Rhythm of the Night. I only recently found out it is an exemplar of something called Handbag House.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Handbag House"! Gosh, yes - there were whole compilations of the stuff. Needless to say, I have one such double-CD collection, featuring De'lacy - Hideaway, Berry - Sunshine After The Rain, Jinny - Keep Warm, The Original - I Luv U Baby, Junior Vasquez - Get Your Hands Off My Man and many more classics of the era!

      Happy days! Slimmer days, indeed... Jx

      Delete
  5. It was an amazing year in one hell of a decade.
    So much great music and I am with 'Moving with Mitchell'; I too find myself saying, “Well that was recent” only to realize that 1990s was NOT recent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scary, isn't it?

      Also thirty years ago? Confide in Me by Kylie Minogue, Saturday Night by Whigfield, Girls & Boys by Blur and 7 Seconds by Youssou N'Dour featuring Neneh Cherry - all of 'em still on our party playlist today... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]