Sunday 1 September 2024

Sunshine and new choons


RIP, Phil "The Collector" Swern, BBC radio producer for six decades, the man behind Ken Bruce's "Popmaster" quiz, and famously the owner of every single that entered the charts since they began in 1952...

On this beautifully warm and sunny late summer day, it seems fitting, methinks, for a wallow in some of the "newer" music that has caught my ear of late...

Let's open proceedings with something suitably sunshiney, its video featuring gorgeous young things cavorting in some exotic location, in various states of undress:

[the song samples Ennio Morricone - Dance On from the film Così Come Sei (aka: Stay As You Are) (1978), in case you were wondering]

By complete contrast - a holiday road trip much closer to home, to accompany another classic-in-the-making from one of our favourite bands:

Here's a faboo discovery - weird, indeed:

Next, the return of not just one, but two house favourites!

This track apparently took four years to get finished! It's good, but what took so long?

To conclude, saving the best to last - when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object, this happens. Love it!

As ever, I welcome your thoughts, dear reader...

10 comments:

  1. Oh! When was this post slapped up? [Stupid question] I will come back and give it my full attention after walking my poorly doggy.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, lots to watch and listen to later today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab collection of toons.
    Top faves are Kylie, David Guetta and the Ultra Naté.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am back!
    Disclosure 😬
    Pet Shop Boys - Can do no wrong.
    Allie X - Interesting - Reminds me of something? I like it.
    Bright Light - Mellow. Yep.
    Clean Bandit, et al - I like this too - but it sounds very familiar!
    Kylie - Hmmm. Not sure what to make of that. Yet.
    Sx




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought similar about Allie X - to my ear there's more than one song in there somewhere, and I can't put my finger on either of them! As for the Clean Bandit one, the band and singer have worked together before, and there are distinct similarities between the two songs.

      Pleased you like most of the songs on offer this time around... Jx

      Delete
  5. "She's Gone, Dance On" video reminded me a little of "Lady, Hear Me Tonight" by Modjo (low camera angles, pretty young things dancing and frolicking). And then Pet Shop Boys' "Feel" video added the missing bits (road trip and running off to do some cavorting, no doubt). I really like both of these songs - especially the PSB one (which I'm pleased about as I recall not being particularly enamoured with their last few).

    It took me a little while to get into "Weird World" but I ended up liking both the music and the video.

    "Every Emotion" is fab, of course!

    I didn't care much for "Cry Baby" as I find Anne-Marie's voice really irritating.

    And I'm not really sure what to make of Kylie's and The Blessed Madonna's collaboration. I probably need to give it a few more listens.

    So, Bright Light Bright Light and Ultra Naté "win" this round for me (but Disclosure's and PSB's videos are amazing). Thank you, Jon! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you mention it, I can hear Modjo now in the Disclosure video - well spotted! PSB's song is more of a "return to form" than other recent ones (although I did like both 'Dancing Star' and 'A New Bohemia'). And I'm with you on Anne-Marie's voice...

      Good old Bright Light Bright Light does it again! Yay! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]