Tuesday 29 October 2019

Te quiero conmigo bailando muy suavecito



"Ahora no soy tan niña, pero me siento como una niña."
["I'm not a little girl, but I feel like one."]




With Celia Cruz and Rolando Laserie (Habana Hilton 1960)



At the age of 89 [her birthday is today!], Omara Portuondo is calling an "untimely" end to her career after a mere seven decades, with a final grand tour - El Último Beso ["The Final Kiss"]. We unfortunately missed her only UK appearance in July, to our chagrin.

Who is Señorita Portuondo, I hear you ask? Although her career as one of Cuba's most popular singers stretches back to the very early 1950s, it's probably for her work with the fabled Buena Vista Social Club for which she is best known.

Here are some examples of her sublime talent, four your delectation:




I could listen to her forever.

¡Feliz cumpleaños, Omara Portuondo Peláez! (born 29th October 1930)

More Omara here

4 comments:

  1. I adore this woman she adds depth and meaning to every thing she sings and I love the Cuban Latin Jazzy one at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only we could have seen her when she was in London in the summer! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]