Sunday 1 December 2019

Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again



The beginning of December is depressing in so many ways - World AIDS Day, the meteorological advent of Winter proper and, inevitably, the time when despondent shoppers and radio listeners start being "treated" to the endless dross that is Xmas music from now until doomsday. It's dark and gloomy, and eminently suitable for an appearance by one of the most sinister of Alfred Hitchcock movies, the adaptation of Daphne DuMaurier's Rebecca - and who better to give us a faboo introduction to that film than Steve Hayes, aka Tired Old Queen at the Movies?!


Just think - "The Second Mrs DeWinter" might have been a whole lot different had she been played by another actress who auditioned, in a list that included Vivien Leigh, Margaret Sullavan, Loretta Young, Anne Baxter ...or Nova Pilbeam (who?!)

2 comments:

  1. One of my ALL time fave films
    and a great review as always from the lovely 'Tired Old Queen'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember if I ever saw it all the way through. Probably did - it would have definitely have been one of Mother's "ironing films". Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]