Tuesday 30 August 2022

Tu crois le tenir, il t’evite


Yup. Back to work time again...

Aaaargh! The bloody alarm has gone off, for the first time in seventeen days, and Mama's not a happy bunny.

I'd much prefer to be in Regent's Park, having fun with "the gang" at our Grand Picnic:

To ease my confused head and semi-concious state, let's celebrate a centenary, shall we? Alongside a raft of fellow celebrants that includes the late, dearly missed influential DJ and music expert John Peel, as well as Cameron Diaz, Capability Brown, Raymond Massey, Denis Healey, Antony Gormley, Muriel Gray, Timothy Bottoms, brewer Samuel Whitbread, Fred MacMurray, Joan Blondell, Mary Shelley, Ernest Rutherford, Radio 4's Sue MacGregor and out-gay politician Ben Bradshaw, one hundred years ago today the fantabulosa opera diva Regina Resnik was born!


[click any pic to embiggen]

Resident diva at New York's Metropolitan Opera for almost forty years, she started out in dramatic soprano roles in the likes of Tosca, Madama Butterfly and Die Walküre, and eventually re-trained (as her voice matured) as a mezzo-soprano, with leading roles such as Carmen, "Mistress Quickly" in Falstaff and "Klytemnestra" in Elektra - as well as a notable turn as "Madame Armfeldt" in Sondheim's A Little Night Music [see here].

She even attempted to bring a touch of class to the USA's favourite variety showcase The Ed Sullivan Show in 1968:

Now, that woke me up!

Well, almost...

Have a good week, dear reader. I won't.

10 comments:

  1. That has to be the whitest Carmen cast ever cast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And by and large, Miss Reznik aside, one of the least attractive... Jx

      Delete
  2. That was some production she brought to Ed Sullivan. He was a major asshole, but sure did share a lot of talent Americans might never have seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know nothing about Mr Sullivan, but anyone who attempts to bring culture to the Rednecks has my vote. Jx

      Delete
  3. I hope you are coping okay with the first day at work for ages and ages. I feel ruffled and I'm not even at work!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Slough of Despond is upon me... Jx

      Delete
  4. Sing along with La Reznik. Come on...I'll help you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You lead, I'll follow, dear! I'll do the "dum-dum-dum-di-dum-dum-dum" bits. Jx

      Delete
  5. I'd scream like that too if I found a slug that size in my salad.

    I note from your picnic that you played it safe and didn't even bring any salad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We treat salad as garnish - it all ends up as compost anyhow. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]