Sunday 7 August 2022

Hypno-tiz-ed

Few among my beloved audience noticed my last selection, it would appear, but undaunted as I am - here is another random assortment of "newer" choons that have caught my ear of late!

First up, Our Princess Kylie's latest, a rather faboo track from her Disco: Guest List Edition [which, incidentally, landed her the accolade of being the first female artist to have a number one album in five consecutive decades]:

Next up - this "summer anthem" [well, it was actually released last November, but the band's performance at Glastonbury got them noticed] has been clogging-up the airwaves lately here in the long, hot summer in the UK! Understandably...

Heavens, this "80s-style" mix is so much better than the original! They eununciated things far better in those days, of course - poor Ms Lipa evidently cannot pronounce any consonants:

Here's an irresistable oddity - not new at all [it was actually released in 2017, and apparently featured in an advert for an Apple iPhone], but new to me - courtesy of Paddy O'Connell, sitting in for Liza Tarbuck on BBC Radio 2 today:

By way of a complete contrast, as part of his own celebration of 25 years in the business [cf Geri and the Spice Girls, as featured yesterday] the lovely Robbie Williams is back with a new single:

And, saving the best for last - a "national treasure", with a most remarkable earworm...

As ever, let me know your thoughts, dear reader...

13 comments:

  1. Love Kylie, obviously, but "Miss A Thing" seems like an album track not destined to be released as a single - it sounds a bit like filler. Although, I can imagine it playing as a 'wind down' track at a club/party etc.

    I was really loving "Holiday" but once whatshername started 'singing' I physically recoiled. Nevertheless, I persisted, got used to her tone, and ended up loving the song! It would be much better with someone else - anyone else! - doing her bit, though.

    That Cosmo Sheldrake one is an oddity, isn't it?! But rather delightful.
    Robbie's is pretty good, too.

    Sophie Ellis Bextor can do no wrong! I love this one, and featured it here last month. This is the first time I've seen the video, though - Fantastic!


    P.S. I can't believe I missed your previous selection - I usually scroll through all posts I've missed when away from blogging for a few days, but managed to toally miss that one. I'd better give it a listen. But just going to listen/watch Sophie E-B again, first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree a bit on the Kylie track - I don't think it's being promoted as a single (if such things mean anything any more, now that "the charts" are no more than a joke these days) - just a song she felt like doing a video for. The vocals on Holiday are a bit startling at first, but I rather like her tone now I've got used to it. Discovering Cosmo Sheldrake was a bit of a "whoop-at-the-radio" moment...

      However, I agree Sophie's definitely the superstar here - I had forgotten you'd already featured it, engrossed as I was with all that flirting and swooning in the rest of your post! Jx

      Delete
    2. 'Startling', yes, that's it. I was startled by the "Holiday" vocals. Still, I'm listening to it again now having just got back from your previous selection (from which Bananarama were my favourites. Just!).

      Delete
    3. Although I adore Bananarama, my fave was Daddy Squad out of that selection. Jx

      Delete
  2. What brilliant selections. You are the DJ extraordinaire. I'd sit and listen to you spin any day, darling. Thanks for the lovely tunes. Great to listen to as I scrub the kitchen floor. Yes... the glamorous life! Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may need to release a compilation CD "Music for Scrubbers"! I think it would be popular... Jx

      Delete
  3. Princess Kylie can very seldom do any wrong. She always gets me jumping as well as the stunning Sophie Ellis-Bextor. I have a love hate with Dua Lipa. I seem to either love her songs or loathe them. New Rules...a go!

    And I always enjoy the voice of Mr. Williams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That remix of Dua Lipa improves on the original immensely... Jx

      Delete
  4. Sometimes... think I'm too old to be reading this blog! Never mind, I'll get my own back some day with some vintage classics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've featured plenty of vintage classics on this blog over the years, Dinah! Jx

      Delete
  5. Oh hang on, I am still listening to Bananarama from Maddie's blog....
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do catch up, dear - Dame Sophie Ellis of the Bextors is a-waiting! Jx

      Delete
  6. Kylie - It will probably grow on me.
    Confidence Man - Seems to have passed me by as I haven't been listening to the radio so much.
    Cosmo Sheldrake - Bit Christmassy!! Why do I think this?! Maybe it's the drums and the rumpty-pom-pom rhythm?!!?
    I like Robbie's voice, I always will.
    Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Always smooth, and classy - though just noticed she has ears like mine.
    Sx


    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]