Saturday 27 August 2022

You're in the mood for a dance, and when you get the chance...



As our last Bank Holiday weekend is upon us, and the weather looks fine and warm for our "Grand Picnic" this afternoon [although a darn sight cooler than the searing heat we had for months this year], it's worth taking one last visit in our TARDIS to that other "long, hot summer" - 1976!

In a spookily similar way to the UK in 2022, 46 years ago we were struggling with not just a massive drought and hosepipe bans [which broke, with storms and floods this very week in '76], but also a lengthy contest for the position of Prime Minister after the departure of the incumbent [back then it was Harold Wilson who resigned], strikes, raging inflation [retail price inflation reached 27% per year in August 1976], economic meltdown thanks to a fuel crisis [although that one had actually begun three years earlier in 1973], cuts in public expenditure, riots and civil disobedience. All that's missing these days is the bloody IRA!

Even ABBA are back - albeit in "ABBAtar" form - but they were at their zenith this week in 1976, with this one at #1 [where it would remain until October]!

As I said on a previous occasion when I featured this song: "What queen, to this day, cannot sing every word to this one?"

10 comments:

  1. 46 years ago! Unbelievable. That was the year you were born, wasn’t it? (I was 3.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flatterer! I'd just turned thirteen... Jx

      Delete
  2. I was in London then! No, I'm not telling you my age! (My fourth decade, I think)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Were you not "Young and sweet, only seventeen", Dinah? Jx

      Delete
  3. I don't remember the heat (or the ladybirds), the fuel crisis, or the rise of Maggie (as I was only one), but I'm convinced that I must have heard 'Dancing Queen' and that it stayed with me until I was a little older and 'recognised' it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this song must be embedded in the very DNA of we "gentlemen who are light in their loafers", alongside the likes of I Will Survive, Vogue, I Know Him So Well and Your Disco Needs You... Jx

      Delete
  4. I was 11! Was this the year that Richard Stilgo did the supermarket checkout on Nationwide to demonstrate which items had gone up each week? Or was that an earlier year? I will Google.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember Richard Stilgoe's "amusing songs" from Nationwide, and he and Valerie Singleton did the "Consumer Unit" segment as well. Gosh, we are going back a few years. Val left the programme in 1978... Jx

      Delete
  5. I can remember 1976 very well so am able to say it all looks like a little bit of history repeating..
    Even ABBA are back on tour ( virtually )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hardly a tour, dear - they had an entire auditorium built out in Stratford, just for their show, but I don't believe they intend to take it on the road... Check the link in the post. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]