Tuesday 16 August 2022

From Jones the Voice to the Queen of Pop

Suffice to say, we've come back from Essex buzzing with the memory of finally seeng the venerable Sir Tom Jones, Tom Jones live on stage - even at 81, he's still got it! It was a great concert, and a glorious venue. We loved it...

It's a busy old time at the moment, to boot - our weekend opened with a flying vist from Madam Arcati's niece Jen (who crashed one night with us as there was a train strike on Saturday, the day she had originally planned to travel to London for a festival with friends). Then Essex. Then, on our return, a meet-up for drinks with some old, old chums "The Utleys" whose wedding we went to a long, long time ago. Bubble (our nickname for Mrs U) fell pregnant soon after, with twins - those boys are eighteen now, and even bought us drinks [gulp]!

I'm trying to get some washing done - but may have to take it to the launderette to dry, as the UK's heatwave has broken, big-style, with the first downpours of rain for months! - because on Thursday at the crack'o'doom, we fly out to Amsterdam for a long weekend. YAY!

All this, and it is fellow Leo Our Glorious Leader Queen Madge's (64th) birthday today!

By way of a tribute, let's just have a few snippets from the great lady's long, long career, shall we?

Hop back thirty-five years, and we find this...

[As I said when I posted this @adecadeago: "Was I the only one who misheard the lyrics and thought she sang "young girls with eyes like potatoes"? Just sayin'..."]

Remarkably, this one's thirty years old this year:

Even this one is ten years old!

Many happy returns, Madonna Louise Ciccone (born 16th August 1958)!

64 facts about Madonna's career for her 64th birthday, courtesy of the Official Charts Company.

13 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful time, and you still have your holiday to look forward to!
    Yep, it’s raining as I type! Still warm though, but hopefully I’ll get some sleep tonight.
    Happy Birthday, Madge!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a grand affair, Ms Scarlet! It's shaping up to be a memorable couple of weeks, as planned - we have checked the forecast for the 'Dam trip, and it doesn't look likely to be marred by much rain, which is a good thing. Let's hope our Grand Picnic on the bank holiday weekend stays dry, too. It can piss down for months after that, for all I care! Jx

      Delete
  2. Do everything that I wouldn't do in Amsterdam! (I'm sure you will)

    Her Madge is 64?!? Blimey. I must admit, I pretty much stopped listening after 'Ray of Light' (although I did pop back for 'Confessions on a Dance Floor'), but that meant I got to experience 'Erotica' which I loved!

    Happy holidays, Jon! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Confessions on the Dancefloor was that last truly and consistently fabulous collection of music she produced, in my opinion. I liked most (but not all) of MDNA (the last CD of Madge's I actually bought) and Rebel Heart was even more of a "curate's egg". And, although I loved what I heard from the Madame X CD (and received it as a gift for my birthday in 2019), I have to admit it's still (cling-wrapped) on the shelf marked "Must listen to at some time", alongside Róisín Murphy's Róisín Machine and Kylie Disco (Guest List Edition). Even I, it seems, have succumbed to the "I can listen to that on YouTube" mentality... Jx

      Delete
  3. What a great time y'all had! I've never seen Sir Tom in real life, but his music has always been super. Hard to believe Madonna is 64 (here comes the petty) until you see photos of her NOW! But, seriously, it seems too many photographers go out of their way to take unflattering pics of her! Enjoy Amsterdam, sweetpea! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Madge certainly has carefully ironed her face lately - but, hey! At least she doesn't look as bad as this lot, or her! Jx

      Delete
    2. OMG, checking out the links and you are absolutely correct, sweetpea! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Madonna doesn't need birthday wishes from me; she wouldn't stop admiring herself long enough to be grateful for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww - and she always says such nice things about you 😉 Jx

      Delete
    2. Madonna doesn't say nice things about anyone but herself.

      Delete
  5. Have a lovely holiday. So glad you got rain, finally. What an ordeal. Things here have cooled - almost autumn-like. I'm having a terrible week... just too much on the plate. I miss isolating. LOL. And Madge! Brilliant. And Tom Jones!! Brilliant. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not just rain today, but thunderstorms. Hopefully that means I won't need to water the pots before we go... Still warm and humid, though! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]