Sunday 7 April 2019

So I'll start a revolution from my bed


Our ferns and Martagon lilies don't mind the rain.

Oh, dear. "The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry", indeed.

Having taken up a whole day visiting Mother in Portsmouth yesterday, I had all sorts of plans today for sorting out more bits in the garden (including lifting and replanting anemones and other Spring bulbs, re-potting the ginormous cordyline, and splitting-up and re-potting another of the Salvias that is practically climbing out of its pot), but in the end I only managed to saw up and bin the bits of broken branch still sat in the garden after Madam Arcati had lopped it from the evil overhanging sycamore, and to lift-and-shift some daffs that had gone over in order to free the pots for washing and replanting with summer flowers, before the rains hit with a vengeance. Groo.

Never mind, eh? Sundays are supposed to be for relaxation and enjoyment - and I can think of little more enjoyable on a gloomy day than a triple-bill of ingenious re-workings of modern classics by the faboo Postmodern Jukebox!




Slip inside the eye of your mind
Don't you know you might find
A better place to play
You said that you'd never been
But all the things that you've seen
Will slowly fade away

So I'll start a revolution from my bed
'Cause you said the brains I had went to my head
Step outside, summertime's in bloom
Stand up beside the fireplace
Take that look from off your face
You ain't ever gonna burn my heart out

And so Sally can wait
She knows it's too late as she's walking on by
My soul slides away
"But don't look back in anger," I heard you say


We adore Scott Bradlee's Postmodern Jukebox here at Dolores Delargo Towers...

8 comments:

  1. The rain scuppered my gardening plans, too. Although, I was only going to dig manure into the border, I didn't mind giving it a miss!
    That unfurling fern frond next to your lily looks for all the world like some unspeakable pest about to attack and devour all the lily's lush foliage. I'm glad it's not. Just keep an eye out for those horrid poo looky-likey lily beetle larvae!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the weirdest fern I've seen - most do the conventional "shepherd's crook" shape, but this, as you quite rightly observe, looks more like some tropical caterpillar... Thankfully, we're very alert to the presence of lily beetle since we first encountered them - they are a menace, but quite visible when they first arrive as adults and easy to catch if you hold a pot under the leaf they're on and tap it. Then, squish away! Jx

      Delete
  2. One of these weeks I half expect to see the extensive gardens at Delores DeLargo Towers on All Gardens Great and Small with Miranda Hart and her mother Dee Hart Dyke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never heard of that programme. Mind you, when I looked at IMDB, it looks like there were only three programmes made, in 2017, and they only appeared on the cable-only channel More 4 - which we never watch. Jx

      Delete
  3. Rain??? I went to the beach! But the lawn has been mown.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was that seeping mizzle with which you would be all-too-familiar in Devon; everything was sodden. Shame. Saturday was nice and warm in Portsmouth. Jx

      Delete
  4. Fab tunes
    fab fern
    and I am looking forward to the martagon lily flowering

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait, either - it should be quite a show judging by the amount of growth! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]