Thursday 25 June 2020

Getting Down With Ye Whippersnappers


Ye Olde Medieval Rave

According to The Guardian, a new phenomenon is sweeping the interwebs, thanks to some very cool kids - "Bardcore"!

This witty epithet was applied to the trend, after one clever bastard out there decided to take a "melody by a popular Beat combo, M'Lud" a dance choon and see how it would sound on Medieval instruments. I didn't even know the original of this, but the result is rather impressive:


One proper musician even used real instruments rather than a synthesiser on his reinterpretation of (another song I'd never heard before) a heavy metal hit:


Stepping into more familiar territory, however, I was rather taken by this one...


Verily, a merrie gaudeamus!

So, who's going to be the first to whop their lute out and have a go..?

10 comments:

  1. The capering cod-pieced chaps and flirty-skirt girls in the painting certainly seem to getting into the swing of things.
    Of the music the only one that appealed was the mediaeval Toxic Down.But not for very long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yon troubadors doth be troublesome to thine ear?

      Jx

      PS Not sure I could cope with prolonged listens myself, truth be told...

      Delete
  2. Wow, talk about playing "unplugged".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gah! What is with this modern music. That Britannia Speares is little more than a strumpet, and her teeth aren't even really wood!
    What's wrong with good old fashioned rocks being hit with sticks, I ask you?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The bawdy wind that kisses all it meets
      Is hushed within the hollow mine of earth
      And will not hear ’t. What committed!
      Impudent strumpet!"


      Indeed.

      Jx

      PS You just reminded me of "Raw Sex" from French & Saunders and "The Conch and the Shell"...

      Delete
    2. Ah, "The Conch and the Shell" - I think a French & Saunders marathon may be in order...

      Delete
    3. French and Saunders are always in order! Jx

      Delete
  4. Verily and forsooth my liege, Who believed that the heavenly spheres could produce such music?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "O brave new world,
      That has such people in ’t!"


      Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]