Sunday 4 April 2021

Avant-garde, never fade

Easter. If the shops weren't still closed thanks to the continued lockdown, they'd be shut anyway today. And it's getting colder again, so the garden's a less-than-enticing prospect.

There's nothing for it, but to entertain ourselves - how about a little round-up of some of the "newer" music that has caught my ear of late? That'll do nicely...

First up a little apéritif courtesy of Mr Boy George! He was there. Where were you?

Here's someone from RuPaul's Drag Queen UK [I wouldn't know; this bloody Drag Race thing seems to have been going for a hundred years and I have never watched it] with an "amusing" name, and a rather good choon:

Courtesy of Ana Matronic's Dance Devotion show on Radio 2 [again!] is this very weird little number from a band from... Totnes:

From the ridiculous to the sublime - an oddity from Brazil:

A cool little number from one of our favourite Ukrainian hunks, with a most magnificent video:

and finally...saving the best for last [and speaking of Drag Race, a bit of a team up between our beloved "house band" Steps and RuPaul's "right-hand woman"!

Enjoy! And, as ever, let me know your thoughts...

8 comments:

  1. I accidentally got two playing at the same time and it really did sound Avant-garde! And then I realised what I'd done.
    Love the Boy George video.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was indeed there - maybe not at The Blitz, but the club we went to in Newport certainly was given a "blessing" by Steve Strange. He went a few times when he was back in Wales and I saw him [and his acolyte at the time, Ronny] once. From a distance, admittedly. Jx

      Delete
  2. I've heard the Steps one a lot - I think it's suitably jolly enough to cheer us up.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking the other day that I needed some new music (but couldn't be bothered to find any), so this is wonderful, thank you Jon. You certainly did save the best for last (Ah, Steps, can you do no wrong?), but Metronomy's "Salted Caramel Icecream" runs it a close second. And Макс Барских & Zivert's (hooray for copy-&-paste!) "Bestseller" video really is something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm rather pleased with the collection - and yes, that Metronomy one is rather good, isn't it? I get the feeling Mr Barskih threw everything but the kitchen sink into that video! I gather he does sell rather a lot of records behind the old Iron Curtain... Jx

      Delete

  4. Another fab collection of modern popular music added to the music library

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cataloguing of that library is well behind... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]