Friday 30 April 2021

Even in the year three thousand

"Forget all the Disco Sucks bollocks, this was where the creativity was. Many of the qualities of Disco that were so derided were mirror images of those qualities that were celebrated in Punk: an annihilating insistence on sex as opposed to puritan disgust; a delight in a technology as opposed to a Luddite reliance on the standard Rock group format; acceptance of mass production as opposed to individuality. It was the difference between 1984 and Brave New World: between a totalitarian nightmare or a dystopia accomplished through seduction.

...Disco’s stateless, relentlessly technological focus lent itself to space/alien fantasies which are a very good way for minorities to express and deflect alienation: if you’re weird, it’s because you’re from another world. And this world cannot touch you." - writer, broadcaster and music journalist Jon Savage [as quoted in a review over at the ever-wonderful {feuilleton} of his latest electronic disco compilation CD.]

We have a three-day weekend to look forward to, dear reader [it is the May Day Bank Holiday on Monday], and to get the party started in an appropriate manner - with a double-bill of madness, from the above CD - let's dig out our silveriest silver lamé outfits, paint our faces to match...and Thank (Space) Disco It's Friday!

Have a great (long) weekend, peeps!

6 comments:

  1. Disco me! I remember my mother gifting me an album of disco hits once and my disgust (I was a punk). I secretly played that thing to death and within a year was a disco dolly. Adore the energy, the light, the strings, the horns, the synths, the drama... there is nothing like it. Currently enamored with Kylie Minogue Disco CD, playing non-stop in the auto. Have a lovely three day weekend. You are so fortunate. Wishing you sunshine and deep beats. Dance, dance, dance... PS - loved the Jon Savage quote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you've pulled on your first glitter hotpants, you never look back..!

      We need to give Kylie's DISCO another airing; first time all either of us could think is "It's not a patch on Light Years, is it?" We were probably a little harsh.

      The sun's out, so things may be looking up for the long weekend! Jx

      Delete
  2. This is the silveriest silver outfit I know. But it's not lamé or space-tastic. However, filled with Guy Pearce, it'll do!

    Happy BH Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always wanted to re-create that scene, but knowing my luck I, headdress, cape, giant show and all would probably be splattered by a low bridge over the North Circular. Jx

      PS Mmmm - Guy Pearce!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Love 'em both - I even bought the latter on 7" vinyl when it was released! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]