Saturday 3 April 2021

I don't wanna wind up being parted, broken-hearted


She hated Easter too, it seems.

Hooray, hooray - it's Doris Day!

Without further ado, let's celebrate that much-missed angelic voice (as featured in a rather sexy extract from Strictly Ballroom):

You won't admit you love me
And so how am I ever to know?
You always tell me
Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps

A million times I've asked you,
And then I ask you over again
You only answer
Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps

If you can't make your mind up
We'll never get started
And I don't wanna wind up
Being parted, broken-hearted

So if you really love me
Say yes, but if you don't dear, confess
And please don't tell me
Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps

Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps

If you can't make your mind up
We'll never get started
And I don't wanna wind up
Being parted, broken-hearted

So if you really love me
Say yes, but if you don't dear, confess
And please don't tell me
Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps
Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps

Doris Day (born Doris Mary Anne Kappelhoff, 3rd April 1922 – 13th May 2019)

She's such a loss.


Miss Kappelhoff shares her birthday with another odd assortment of "names", including Marlon Brando, Eddie Murphy (who's 60 today!), Mistinguett, A. C. Grayling, "Fat Lady" Jennifer Paterson, Leslie Howard, Marsha Mason, the recently-departed Charlotte Coleman, Helmut Kohl, notorious lesbian diarist Anne Lister, Tony Orlando, primate concervationist Jane Goodall, Alec Baldwin, Leona Lewis, Dooley Wilson, burlesque queen Sally Rand, David Hyde Pierce, Tony Benn, Miguel Bosé, the very sexy Matthew Goode, and - erm - Nigel Farage...

10 comments:

  1. Sauce!

    Miss Day does have a very lovely voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a few of her albums. She was a remarkable singer. Jx

      Delete
  2. What wonderful day to be born! I loved Doris in Midnight Lace... and always wanted her to break into adult roles. It's hard being America's sweetheart. Thanks for sharing. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the immortal words of Oscar Levant: "I knew Doris Day Before she became a virgin!" Jx

      Delete
  3. I just checked to see how many times she was married. The answer is four. So she's not quite up there with Liz and Zsa Zsa but she was well on her way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None of hers was already married, as far as I am aware, and I am pretty certain the Pope never accused her of "erotic vagrancy". Her first two sounded like complete shits, but she was with husband #3 for seventeen years until his death, and husband #4 (who she married when she was in her fifties) sounded like he was merely a "comfort blanket" tbh, and things fizzled out when she began her great "animal crusade". All-in-all, not quite the tumultuous record of the other ladies. Jx

      Delete
  4. I always wanted to be as perfect as Doris Day, and have a nice collection of round necked cardigans - sadly the look doesn't suit me. I am naturally slutty.

    Did you really have to mention Nigel???

    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, more Mamie than Doris, then? Jx

      PS sorry about the Farage. Don't have nightmares.

      Delete
  5. Every day should be a 'Doris Day'
    Adorable, adored and greatly missed.
    Fab video to celibate her Day. I love that film and her version of the song.
    Kissass Kissass Kissass indeed.
    Hope I spelt that correctly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It reads more like something a villain in an old Dan Dare comic might say... Jx

      PS yes, Doris is a staple of our playlist. Love her. And Paul Mercurio (when he was young)!

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]