Thursday 15 April 2021

Te mets en joie pour la journée

Just because we heard someone else singing this song on the radio last night, I simply had to revisit an old favourite - by far the best version of La Carioca ever!

As I said back in 2010, when I originally posted it: "I can guarantee that once this gets into your head you will find it very hard to stop singing it all day..."



Sais tu danser la carioca?
C'n'est pas un fox trot
Ou une polka
C'n'est vraiment pas
Très compliqué
Pour la comprendre
Suis bien mes pas

C'n'est pas un tango
Ou un cha cha
Encore moins
Une bossa nova
Quand t'as goûté
A cette danse là
Tu ne peux
Plus faire que ça

Youpi!
Dansons la carioca
C'est bien
Faisez tous comme moi
Youpi
Avec la carioca
Tant pis s'il faut dire
Aux autres danses
"Au revoir"

Maint'nant qu'tu danses
La carioca
Ça tu t'en fiches bien
De la polka
Tu n'en veux plus
De la rumba, du houla hop
Et du cha cha

Tous les matins
Dès le lever
La carioca
Te fais bouger
Et quand tu danses
Chaque petit pas
Te mets en joie
Pour la journée

Youpi!
Dansons la carioca
C'est bien
Faisez tous comme moi
Oh oui! Youpi
Dansons la carioca
Tant pis s'il faut dire
A tout le monde
"Au revoir"


Indeed.

14 comments:

  1. Well... that put the pepper in my step this morning. Does it come with a foot chart? And if so... how big them feet? :) Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those palm trees gliding on to the set were a couple of vacuum cleaners in disguise, weren't they?!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're certainly not very realistic... Jx

      Delete
  3. That has instilled in me the need to watch La Cage Aux Folles. So that is just what I am going to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This clip is actually from another French comedy La Cité de la peur (which I have never seen), but I (of course) know and love La Cage aux Folles. A good choice, Mr DeVice! Jx

      Delete
  4. I was also thinking of La Cage. (And also of my Dad, who was a great dancer, especially tango) No, I can't dance like that.That gene is totally missing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as you can "move rhythmically", that's all that matters. Leave all that "syncopated stuff" to the experts, I say. Jx

      Delete
  5. That was fun to watch. I thought one of the guys was Tony Bennett, but no, a similar looking fellow.

    I used to take so many dance classes just for fun. I stopped after the last Salsa class I took was such a mess. The instructor would have us change partners way too often, like every five minutes! That was not dancing, that was a whole lot of awkward manhandling! I would get comfortable with one partner and everything would be fine and then eventually I'd get switched to one of the new guys trying to force the lead.

    Sway By Dean Martin will always be one of my favorite songs. Here's a good cut and stitch of the dance scene in the movie "Easy Virtue" which I barely remember, I think it was too slow paced for me. I don't think I've ever seen the original French version of The Birdcage, only the remake with Robin Williams and Nathan Lane.

    https://youtu.be/ypp6U7d-Bxg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't do formalised dancing very well (see my response to Dinah above) - I'm more "freestyle".

      Sway is a favourite here, too. Such a great song. We love this one, this, and the dance remix! Jx

      Delete
  6. Thank you for this! The Pink version was too slow a tempo for me, but Michael Buble keeps the original tempo and feel so that works for me. I can't say why the final remix version just didn't work with me. I guess for me, the perfection of the original cannot be topped. I liked the Lemonade song. I hadn't heard it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It goes to show that you can't keep a good standard down, I guess... Pink Martini are fab; we have several CDs of theirs - and practically every track is in a different eclectic style. A class act! Jx

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. We need to practice the moves, ready for our first post-lockdown party! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]