Monday 3 July 2023

I've gotta go and taste Saturday's high life


WHAT. A. DAY! More than a million people, of all creeds, colours, ages, sexualities and identities gathered in the centre of London on Saturday for one occasion - the biggest event London has - Gay Pride!

Having started our day in the customary way - assembled at Our Sal's pub The Shaston Arms off Carnaby Street for bacon butties and fizz and final touches to the outfits and gossip and a few photos...

...we yomped down to Piccadilly to bag a prime spot opposite Fortnum & Masons to wait for the procession to arrive, buzzing with excitement and anticipation.

Eventually, with the roar of the Dykes on Bikes up the road, it certainly did arrive! Our gang (Me, Madam Arcati, Hils, Crog, Baby Steve, Houseboy Alex, John-John, Sal, Lou, Carol, Jen, Mark and "official photographer" Bence) stood for five hours, watching a wildly colourful panoply of representatives from community groups and charities, campaign groups, the inevitable corporates, educational bodies, the NHS, the armed forces, sports clubs, politicos, unions and associations, choirs, bands, religious groups, trans groups, the Masons(!) and Morris dancers(!); everything from puppy slaves and furries to drag queens and bull dykes, hunks, twinks, families with toddlers, older gays on double-decker buses, Z-list celebs, even David Furnish - you name it, they were there!




And everyone seemed to want their photo taken with us!

We didn't even see Peter Tatchell, but (of course) he was there:

Understandably, there had to be a point at which a combination of bladder pressure and aching feet was going to encourage us (reluctantly) to leave - and even after all that time, the parade extended as far as the eye could see!

Here's the "official" Pride in London synopsis of the parade:

Utter joy...

I haven't, of course, forgotten that it's a Tacky Music Monday - so let's have something rather appropriate from the irrepressible Miss Pearl Bailey [not that I would ever call her "tacky" - I wouldn't dare - but this particular production is so cheesy and camp, it fits the bill], shall we?!

It's been a jolt to be back in work today, dear reader. Have a good week.

[cick any pic to embiggen]

14 comments:

  1. Your gang looks like so much fun and of course everyone noticed you all. How great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did well with our "look" this year - purple en masse is a dramatic effect! Jx

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you had a good time and that your bladder held out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there would be some far more unsettling photos of us on the web had it not 😀... Jx

      Delete
  3. I'm currently on beach holiday for the 4-day weekend. But what lovely photos and what a great turnout London had. I would gladly have joined your group as I love and adore purple. But bladder? I thought much like myself your bladder and liver would have been long gone? Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bladder's fine, dear - five or more hours, drinking beer, without going once is pretty good going, I'd say - but I think my liver must be a bit like a leather satchel by now...

      It was an incredible turnout! Official figures said more than 30,000 people took part in the march itself, and estimates for the crowd watching it were well over a million. Phenomenal. Jx

      Delete
  4. It was a fab day! I seem to have caught a cold and have some sun burn, but it was worth it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a fun day "en famille"!

      Given the dreadful weather we have today, I think I'd prefer a little sunburn to being stood, sodden, for hours... Jx

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Imperial Purple, I'll have you know! Up a level from a mere "Prince"...

      I think it suited us 😎. Jx

      Delete
  6. Fabulous!! Love the purple theme - and the headwear!!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every year, "out gang" pulls out all the stops, and every year I look at the photos and think "Wow. Now how are we going to outdo this one next year?" 😁 Jx

      Delete
  7. I was going to redecorate the maison in purple being the new black. Simple velveteen drapes, lovely antimacassars, feather edged table cloth, that sort of look.
    Shock horror.
    No purple to be had in any god fearing haberdashery store.
    Now I know why.
    You all look gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you (whoever you are)! Sorry about your antimacassars... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]