Friday 21 July 2023

Words are so easy to say, oh ah yeah

TFFT. The end of another week filled with joy and wonder crawls into view - and it's time to party, dear reader! John-John, Paul and I are off to or first Polari literary salon in months at Heaven nightclub tonight, so there's plenty to look forward to there. Meanwhile - Classic warning!

It celebrated its - gulp - thirtieth birthday this year.

As I said @adecadeago:

I bet Miss Robin S never realised at the time what a massive hit she had on her hands with Show Me Love. Nor, most probably, did she realise she would never have another song in the Top 10...

Thank Disco It's Friday!


Heartbreaks and promises
I've had more than my share
I'm tired of giving my love
And getting nowhere, nowhere

What I need is somebody
Who really cares
I really need a lover
A lover that wants to be there

It's been so long
Since I touched a wanting hand
I can't put my love on the line
That I hope you'll understand

So baby if you want me
You've got to show me love
Words are so easy to say, oh ah yeah
You've got to show me love

I'm tired of getting caught up
In those one night affairs
What I really need is somebody
Who will always be there

Don't you promise me the world
All that I've already heard
This time around for me baby
Actions speak louder than words

If you're looking for devotion, talk to me
Come with your heart in your hand
Because my love is guaranteed

So baby if you want me
You've got to show me love
Words are so easy to say, oh ah yeah
You've got to show me love

Show me, show me baby
You've got to give it to me
Give it to me, give it to me, yeah
I don't want no fakes, don't want no phoney
I need your love

Show me, show me, show me baby
Give it to me, give it to me
I am not a toy, I'm not a play thang
You've got to understand

If you're looking for devotion, talk to me
Come with your heart in your hand
Because my love is guaranteed
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

Have a good weekend, peeps!

13 comments:

  1. I hope Robin S made good money on that one hit. I must have been under my rock at the time. Never heard it. Then again, I've never been to a Polaris literary salon at Heaven. As a matter of fact, I've never been to Heaven — But I've been to Oklahoma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh. I am surprised you missed it - Show Me Love was huge here, and has been remixed many, times over the years; several of those mixes got back into our charts. She wasn't quite a "one-hit wonder" (other singles of hers did tickle the Top 40), but it's for this song that she is eternally recognised. Jx

      PS I've never been to the US, let alone "O.....klahoma! Where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain."

      Delete
  2. On one hand, I'm astonished this is 30 years old, but on the other, it seems like a song that has always been around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never seems to age - it still pops up on the radio alongside more contemporary stuff even today. Jx

      Delete
  3. Blimey! Clubbing days remembered!
    Have a great weekend!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be you were a proper raver, Ms Scarlet! Jx

      Delete
    2. I bet she still is! C'mon, Scarlet, tell about your moonlight raves on the moor....

      Delete
    3. I assume when Robin S was being played on the dancefloors you were still in London, Ms Scarlet? We need all the gossip! Jx

      Delete
    4. My lips are sealed! Well, they are these days.
      Sx

      Delete
  4. Oh yes Robin S! Back in our New York clubbing Hey Day it was not uncommon to see her in many of the clubs singing her repertoire of three songs. I remember one night at the Roxy she appeared with Gloria Gaynor. I always enjoyed ShowMeLove , but she had another song that followed if called Love For Love which I enjoyed even more. And this weekend came just in time ...I have a half a day today and then it's on to another three day weekend. And what will be a very short week next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Name-dropper 😜. Love for Love was so similar to Show Me Love it wafted in one ear and out of the other - but the classic remained... Jx

      PS how many three-day weekends does America have, ffs?

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]