Wednesday 6 September 2023

Mivvi, anyone?


Some people cope with the heat in unusual ways.

Hurrah! The UK's in the middle of a heatwave (at last)! It hit 30C yesterday and (even though it's a bit hazy) we've probably hit 32C today [TBC by the Met Office]

A heatwave, you say? Another excuse, I say, to revisit 1976 - the year of the most famous heatwave of the lot!

OK, this time 47 years ago it had actually already broken, and the UK had some (much-needed, after three months of drought) rain, but...

In our charts this week in '76, Abba's Dancing Queen held the top slot, and the likes of Wings, Elton John and Kiki Dee, Rod Stewart, Dr Hook, Johnny Wakelin, Chi-Lites, David Dundas and even Billie Jo Spears were all present and correct. However it is to an old favourite who was also in the Top Ten, the ultimate "Lounge Lizard", we turn to provide today's soundtrack. Here's Mr Bryan Ferry - for it is he - (not even breaking into a sweat, even in searing temperatures, and ably assisted in the video by his then-girlfriend, the pouting Jerry Hall) and The Price Of Love:

I could do with an ice cold cocktail now... Or maybe a Mivvi!

12 comments:

  1. I worked from home today for fear of dessicating on the walk back to my car in the afternoon. It was lovely and cool here - a bit misty and a cooling sea breeze. I don't think it got above 22?
    Still, if those two in the gif are handing out Mivvis, I'll have them and a pineapple one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing beats a good lolly to suck on in hot weather! Jx

      Delete
  2. I don't even remember “The Price of Love.” But the GIF makes me want to dance with somebody.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The closest Mr Ferry ever got to a solo hit in the US of A was "Kiss and Tell" in 1988, which hit #31 in the Billboard charts. I don't remember that one at all, and, unlike his '70s solo career (and of course his work with Roxy Music), it was not even a Top 40 hit here.

      He remains, however, a cultural icon and "national treasure". Jx

      Delete
  3. It’s been hot here since Saturday. Although we have just had a rain shower! This time next week we will be unpacking the knitwear, and pondering heating bills, so we’d better make the best of it.
    No summer will ever compare to 1976 in my mind - much more fun when you’re a kid!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no forecast of rain here in London until Monday (and then only a 20% chance), and I do indeed intend to make the most of it!

      I turned teenage in 1976, and that heatwave coinciding with the school holidays did make it the Best Summer Ever. There have been hotter ones since, of course, but nothing quite so prolonged. One never quite knows what weather to expect in the UK, that's for certain... Jx

      Delete
  4. How ironic that Dancing Queen held the number 1 spot for this time frame...during Anne Marie's Birthday!!!! LOL!!!! I admit, I was puzzled to why she couldn't stand ABBA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why people hate Abba either. I know at the time this was out, Punk and associated music genres with stripped-back, low production values were cool in the UK, therefore it was deeply unfashionable to like massively-produced artists like them (and Prog Rock bands, and the likes of Queen and Fleetwood Mac, and so forth).

      But fair play to them, cool or not, Abba sold gazillions of records and, to this day, everyone can sing along to all their hits. Try doing that with the combined back catalogue of many Punk bands like The Fall, Spizzenergi, Vibrators, Adverts, Slits, Crass or Generation X (before Billy Idol "sold out" and went solo)... Jx

      Delete
  5. Gracious, but Mr. Ferry certainly was pretty back in the day. All that hair. . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, I never found him sexy in the slightest. Fascinating, yes. "Pretty", not so much. Jx

      Delete
  6. I remember that heat. I came back from my holiday apartment in Liguria, said "bugger this!" and took off to Amsterdam...which was also on the warmer side. Happy days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "My holiday apartment in Liguria" - get you, Liz Taylor! 😂

      City heat can be oppressive, I agree, but this heatwave's not too bad at all. And it really has cheered everyone up! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]