Friday 1 September 2023

All together, now!

Almost there. Almost...

As we creep slowly towards the weekend, after an albeit short week that has absolutely dragged like hell, let's pause to wish a happy 370th birthday today to one Johann Pachelbel! Who, I hear you ask?

Despite having a prolific and extensive composing career - with more than two hundred pieces composed for the organ, and a further couple of hundred for voice and/or other instruments to his name, to modern ears he's a bit of a Baroque "one-hit-wonder". His Canon and Gigue for 3 violins and basso continuo received a popular revival in the latter half of the 20th century, and ever since has remained one of the most recognisable and enduring classical chamber music pieces of them all. Here's the original:

Of course, with popularity comes the popular songs based upon it - including by Aphrodite's Child, Maroon 5, and (allegedly) even Kylie!

Most famous of all must be this one, of course:

Johann's tune itself has been given the rock treatment by a number of bands, and various genres of dance DJs have had a go at remixing it. This being the end of the week, and because we need something to get the party mood started, here's one of 'em that is really rather good.

Thank Disco Pachelbel It's Friday!

Have a good one, dear reader!

8 comments:

  1. Oh how I love this music. I remember a mix playing at the last dance club I went to... in the Stone Age. How IS Johan doing? I can't believe he's made it to 370.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's only Baroque'n;Roll, and I like it!

      Johan says "Guten Tag!!" He's off to a harpsichord rave later. Jx

      Delete
  2. You're mad as hatters! Baroque n roll ...love it. TVM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As they say - there's nothing new under the sun!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Even in the classical/Romantic era, composers "borrowed" and "remixed" others' work, and so it goes on. Rachmaninov, Bruckner, Vivaldi, Fauré, Verdi, Barber, Chopin, Beethoven and Bach have all hit our charts in various guises. Jx

      Delete
  4. Oh I loves me a bit of Baroque I does.
    Hate ' All together now'. That comes under 'I wish pop music would stop stealing tunes from classical music'
    but I loved the Club Mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shame - I rather like The Farm Altogether Now. Baroque and big beats is a great combination! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]